Proposal: Skeptics

I incorporated some of the suggestions around the "Skeptics Exchange" proposal to clarify the text of the description. Please check this to make sure I didn't change any fundamental ideas about the site.

I also changed the "Skeptic Exchange" name to "Skeptics" to be less brand name and more consistent with the naming of the other sites.

The description is much better, however I'm less keen on the name change. IMO Skepticism would of been a better fit. –  rjstelling Feb 24 '11 at 17:23

@rjstelling: There was a discussion that this site is not about skepticism itself, but a site for skeptics. That's why I went with "skeptics". Matters not to me either way. Post your thoughts/suggestions as answers to allow voting and comments. –  Robert Cartaino Feb 24 '11 at 17:28

No you're right. For Skeptics, defo. –  rjstelling Feb 24 '11 at 17:47
add comment

3 Answers 3

The description says "Skeptics is aimed at applied skeptics" instead of "Skeptics is aimed at applied skepticism." You can't, to the best of my knowledge, apply a skeptic. ;)

But can you prove that? I thought you could. Fixed. –  Robert Cartaino Feb 24 '11 at 19:18
^^^ Let's start a pool for how long before all the "I'm skeptical about that" jokes become reeeeeealy old. –  Robert Cartaino Feb 24 '11 at 19:21
add comment

Generally, I would name the site after a topic (scepticism) and not after a group (skeptics).

But if we want to really seperate this proposal from the sceptics movement and scepticism as a philosophy, the name should be something like pseudoscience.SE. If the goal is mostly debunking pseudoscience and woo, this would be a more fitting name.

I'm sceptical (no pun intended) about including questions about scepticism itself, but as long as we don't encourage discussion, objectively answerable questions about scepticism might find a place on this site. If we decide for a broader scope, "scepticism" is probably the best name for the site.

add comment

If the name is supposed to be descriptive of the subject matter, shouldn't it be "Woo and Pseudoscience" instead? :p

add comment

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .