I recently proposed How To Hire to Area51. I would love some feed back. The idea of professionals informing service seekers seemed valuable and inspired the proposal. Just wanted to see if others felt similar about it's value.

I've noticed that all the questions can easily be answered with "yes" or "no" which is very bad. You will get lazy people who will post yes/no as their entire answer. You should avoid these types of questions and gear them towards making people explain things. – animuson Aug 19 '12 at 8:51

Feel free to post an example question. I was more trying to show subject matter. – Brian Dillingham Aug 19 '12 at 18:04
up vote 4 down vote accepted

Of the example questions that I've seen so far, they seem to be either very broad or too subjective. For example, Should a WordPress template & content installation cost $2,000? is one where the question-asker would be asking for opinions, whereas Stack Exchange answers should be backed with "facts, references, or specific expertise."

Also, "best practices" is entirely subjective. Who decides what is "best" exactly? I really think you would need to find a way to make this topic something where there is a community of experts who can provide answers to questions using facts, references, their expertise, and prove that their answer is correct. Otherwise, the site may have trouble gaining a solid core audience.

Lastly, check out The Workplace SE. Some of the questions about hiring are on-topic there if it applies to the workplace. Being a site that focuses on subjective topics, you could learn a lot from reading their Meta discussions and possibly use some of their techniques to solve the problems inherent in these sorts of topics. If "How to Hire" could be a viable site topic, following the lead of other subjective sites could help this site grow and succeed. Good luck! :)

+1, thanks for pointing me in the right direction and for the great references. You posed some good things to consider. – Brian Dillingham Aug 19 '12 at 2:13

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .