I've seen a few SE staff mention that a 'next gen' Area 51 is in the works, and wondering:

• what the rough road map is for it,
  • how its release will effect proposals that are not in private-beta on its release, and
  • what the currently rough expected ETA is for its deployment is.

2 Answers 2

up vote 37 down vote accepted

Yes, there is a next-generation Area 51 on the drawing board. It is very early in the design phase, so there's not really much to say about it. I wish I could indulge you in premature, wild speculation, but the design is still developing and changes literally every day. Besides, too much peeking under the covers takes all the fun out of a big launch!

For the existing proposals, I would just continue as normal. When this new process finally launches, it will quite literally put anyone who wants a proposal so far and ahead of where they are now, no one could possible feel like we've set them back at all. Even if its not ultimately the current "Area 51 process" that launches your site, you are still gathering ideas, building consensus, and finding an audience to help build your site. This doesn't change any of that.

As for the ETA, it's still way too early to say… but its almost certainly in the "months" time frame. It's not going to be weeks; it's not going to be years.

u sure? I had assumed it would only be 6-8 weeks. ;) –  Ephraim May 4 '12 at 0:19
Can I assume the new version will be called Area 52? –  Flimzy May 12 '12 at 22:13
@Flimzy "Area 52" is the working code name for the project, but who knows if it will stick. If I had to guess, I'd say no, that will not likely be the actual name of the process... but who knows. –  Robert Cartaino May 12 '12 at 23:08
Where can we submit feature requests ? –  Rocketmagnet Aug 29 '12 at 20:47
@Rocketmagnet In this forum tagged [Area51-meta]. But it seems a bit premature to make feature requests for a product you have never seen. I am not exaggerating when I say a next-generation product will be very different than what we have here. It might be best to wait for an early release before spending too much time on feature suggestions. –  Robert Cartaino Aug 29 '12 at 20:54
We are approaching the year timeframe any update? –  Chad Apr 3 '13 at 18:05
How is it coming on Area 52? –  Cody Guldner May 28 '13 at 17:23
It's been over a year... ;) –  berry120 Sep 2 '13 at 14:33

@berry120: Exactly. What's the difference going to be ? . –  DIMension10 Sep 3 '13 at 12:44

@DImension10AbhimanyuPS I would imagine, like most projects of this type, unforseen issues have cropped up and it's therefore been pushed into a timeframe a bit longer than they were expecting! –  berry120 Sep 3 '13 at 12:45
Just a bit...Coming up on "years"! –  Nick Stauner Feb 14 at 5:48
@RobertCartaino: Please update your answer to reflect that the priority of Area52 changed after you posted the answer above, delete the repetitive comments on timing, and give an update to the question based on your current understanding. Thanks! –  blunders Apr 27 at 18:41
@RobertCartaino On May 4th, 2012 you wrote it's not going to be years. Since today is August 18th, 2014 I just have to ask: any update on that time schedule? –  e-sushi Aug 18 at 6:48

Is this even still a thing? –  bjb568 Sep 8 at 2:24

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .