To be clear, I'm just attempting to get a complete idea of the potential lifecycle of a proposal, which includes it being closed. I'm looking for a complete list of vote-to-close and auto-close reasons on Area 51. I've searched around, and been unable to find a this information. clearly if I was able to vote-to-close I'd be able to click the vote-to-close button, and see a list of reasons; clearly I don't have the rep to be able to do that, just pointing out that's one of the places I attempted to find the info; though I did find the info stating 2000+ rep is needed to vote-to-close.

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

This is the standard set of reasons a proposal may be closed:

• duplicate of proposal
    This proposal covers the same ground as another proposal; it would tend to drain audience from another Stack Exchange site.
  • duplicate of site
    This proposal would tend to drain audience from an existing Stack Exchange site.
  • poorly defined
    This proposal does not clearly state who might use the site, or what questions would be on-topic.
  • content violation
    This proposal has high potential to violate the Stack Exchange Content Policy.
  • not a viable proposal
    This proposal will not result in a useful, productive, or viable Q&A site.

Beyond that, we have the following processes in place to work with proposals that are just not going to make it as a Stack Exchange site.

The Final Proposal Review
Late-stage proposals go through a final Community Manager review to see if they are both viable and a good fit for the network. It is somewhat rare to close a proposal during this review, but if the proposal is somehow a poor fit for the Stack Exchange model, or a subject already covered by another site, it may be closed.

Abandoned Proposals
As part of the routine maintenance of Area 51, proposals that have ABSOLUTELY NO ACTIVITY for a period of 30 days are subject to deletion. That means absolutely NO activity; no new questions, no comments, no voting… absolutely nothing. This is an extremely conservative measurment. It takes only the tiniest bit of activity to keep the proposal going. But…

Closing a Proposal After 1+ Year in Definition or Commitment (link)
On occasion, we have to uproot and close a proposal which has been painfully slow at gaining support. Typically, there is nothing inherently wrong with the subject… but after 1+ year in Definition or Commitment, you have to determine if the proposal still has the support it once had. Proposals that take longer than 1 year in Definition or Commitment are subject to closure.

In the latter case, it is perfectly acceptable — and sometimes even recommended — to start these proposals again. I would also note that closing and restarting 1+ year old proposals has spurred some of our strongest launches on the network to date!

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .