Proposal: Marijuana

I understand not everyone is going to be in favor of legalization, decriminalization, or use of medicinal marijuana. I didn't start this proposal thinking I was going to change anyone's mind. What I am concerned about, however, is the negative action taken against the proposal based on personal belief that seems detrimental to the ideas established by the SE community.

What I'm specifically referring to more so than the emails I've received or even the Vote to Close, is the barrage of downvotes against the example questions. It seems to be only one user (I don't have the rep to get counts) but they hit every single question as a downvote. The idea of downvoting or upvoting the questions, from what I understand, is to determine the target direction of the proposal. DVing every question tells me that there was some sort of personal aversion to the topic as a whole.

What I appreciated is that the upvotes this did get were not on every question. Which tells me that that person wasn't the first stoner who signed on thinking "I LOVE weed, so I'm going to UV everything." In fact, that person used discretion to decide what was most on topic and used the system for what it was made for.

If you don't agree with the proposal, move on. Don't follow it. If it doesn't belong with StackExchange, then it won't get the followers and committers it needs to make it. But if it does, then there's a large enough group of people who feel it would be beneficial. I can't be mad for downvotes, because this network is what you make of it. I'm just asking for a chance to propose a legitimate topic that I feel deserves as much attention as any other cultural matter, without being shot down by people's personal opposition to the topic.

I didn't propose it so we can vote whether or not to pass a bill, I proposed it so we can all be grown ups and talk about a matter that's already widely discussed in the Real World.

Note to SE personnel: I didn't find anything in the site policies saying that such a topic was in violation of any set precedence. If I missed something, please let me know.

It's happening again. It is happening again. (from a tv show) –  luser droog Mar 4 '13 at 4:41

@luserdroog Yeah, apparently if it's really uncalled for, SE claims that they'll catch it. discuss.area51.stackexchange.com/questions/8571/… Maybe I should stop proposing taboo topics. –  Kyle Macey Mar 4 '13 at 5:24

It's not impossible. I once got a bunch of "love-spree" votes that kept disappearing the next day. Taboo just makes it more worthwhile to talk about, IMNSHO. –  luser droog Mar 4 '13 at 6:01

+1. I've been toying with creating a certain proposal for weeks. My topic, lets call it X, has thousands of hard-fact questions, is studied by scholars worldwide, but is also interesting for 'laymen' - it would be a great SE site IMHO. However, X is emotionally and politically laden, especially in the US. X is not forbidden or anything, still some people think it's the Devil. I fear I'd be downvoted into oblivion if I'd post it here. Or people would upvote questions out of sympathy, not because they are good. (PS: no, it neither abortion or guns..) –  jdm Apr 22 '13 at 15:43

@jdm - It has been on my mind for a while to start this kind of Q&A SE site regarding cannabis and i finally did it - go ahead jdm - just do it - You will not know what the society has to say on this subject until you try. But to look at it in general, I have been living in Holland for a while and have my family home close to Czech Republic, where this subject is no loner taboo. It is just a shame that the proposal was killed straight away. –  Saint Aug 15 '13 at 6:29

@KyleMacey: What was your other proposal? –  DIMension10 Dec 1 '13 at 16:07

2 Answers 2

up vote 27 down vote accepted

From the Gardening Website:

Are questions about a marijuana garden allowed?

Our servers are in New York, US, where growing marijuana is illegal. We could get subpoena'd for your information and we'd be forced to give the authorities whatever they asked for. So while our audience is most definitely global, our company and corporation is not.

I don't really think talking about growing marijuana is actually illegal, but I'm not sure you want to start attracting people that were interested in that particular topic because their overlap with expert gardeners and landscapers is minimal.

Given that you could ask pretty much any gardening aspect of marijuana growing question you wanted without actually talking about marijuana (hydroponics on topic, lighting on topic, etc), I think this community would be best served by deciding it's off topic.

Cool. I can bow gracefully if it's directly not accepted by SE –  Kyle Macey Mar 8 '12 at 13:04
However, this seems to pertain mostly to that specific SE site. I'm gonna find a way to pop an email to SE and try to find an updated opinion on having it's own topic. There would be less worry about "overlap with expert gardeners". Also, I'm in NY, and city council is currently voting on medicinal use for NYC, and SE is off Broadway (I believe), so the legal issue could clear up relatively soon –  Kyle Macey Mar 8 '12 at 13:08
+1 for legitimate argument, by the way, and not simply stating your stance on Reefer Madness –  Kyle Macey Mar 8 '12 at 13:10

Some questions seem overly broad, which is common for Area51 proposal sample questions, so this may or may not necessarily be a bad thing. However, my suggestion is to possibly consider focusing on more specific questions that either don't require a full encyclopedia to cover the topic or that cannot be answered with a simple yes or no answer. Focus on the expert level questions. Focus on the questions that most of us may not know the answers to already, if possible.

From Kyle's previous question:

To clarify something, my intent for this (though I know it is now in the hands of the community) was to create a sophisticated Q&A site for cannabis and its more objective traits. The intent was to avoid questions that use words like 'stoner' or 'baked' and such...

If anyone supporting this proposal has permissions to edit sample questions, then consider removing "pot" or other slang terms and use "medicine" or "Cannabis" or "Marijuana" or something that has less of a negative connotation to it instead. Make this proposal look as professional as possible.

Also, my suggestion for anyone writing sample questions for this proposal is to write them as well-written and grammatically correct as possible.

Many people do have their own preconceived notions about this particular controversial topic, and I think it would help the community view this proposal as more acceptable if it didn't inadvertently promote some of the stereotypes that sometimes accompany this topic, and if the sample questions followed the guidelines of a good StackExchange question. Good luck!

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .