Proposal: Cognitive Sciences

Behaviorism has widely been regarded as an affront to Cognitive Psychology but many findings of Behaviorism are still extremely relevant to psychology today.

Are questions relating to behaviorism considered within this proposal's scope?

2 Answers 2

up vote 3 down vote accepted

Definitely sill relevant. While your right that the philosophy behind behaviorism has largely faded, behaviorist research methods are still quite dominant.

And even though someone like BF Skinner wouldn't find a wide audience on a "Cognitive Sciences" site, behaviorist accounts of phenomena still generally have the advantage of parsimony (i.e. Occam's Razor), so it would be wise to have any current behaviorist theories in plain sight and not dismiss them out of hand.

short answer:

Behaviorism is a subset of psychology and psychology as a whole was merged into the Cognitive Sciences proposal.

Your short answer was pretty much my exact thought on the issue. I've noted a surprising amount of hostility between classical/radical behaviorists and "modern" cognitive psychologists so I wasn't really sure what the official opinion on the matter is. –  Ben Brocka Jan 15 '12 at 22:55

At the time of this answer, we have a behaviorism tag and 28 questions sporting it. I'd say the empirical side of the question points to "yes" too!

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .