This question has come up on meta.stackoverflow.com but it would be nice if the FAQ would also include information on what the commitment requirements are for users in the event they forget that it is on the commitment page of the site proposal.

related question –  Artem Kaznatcheev Jan 10 '12 at 2:23
add comment

1 Answer

The Commitment requirements are purposely a bit obscure. Committing to a site means you agree to use the site and help build it.

Just because we're stuck with the task as measuring what that means using the tools at our disposal, that doesn't mean "using the site" should be reduced to a formula of "please ask 5 questions with at least three up-votes and vote 10 times in the next 26 days, and leave 10 comments with at least three of them being up-voted."

It's totally besides the point, and you don't want people thinking that way. You end up with a very forced, robotic community worrying about whether they met their quota of involvement.

[^^^Don't follow that quoted example; I totally made that up.]

Obscure is fine and I agree that things shouldn't be formulaic, but if you go over to meta.stackexchange.com there tend to be quite a few questions that are along the lines of "I've been participating, why hasn't my token been released" and as near as I can tell, there is no way to get a refresher if you have been away from awhile and need a reminder as to what you need to be doing. –  rob Jan 10 '12 at 16:35

The commitment system itself is in someways broken in that it can get in people ways at times but that is another discussion all together - meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/92688/… –  rob Jan 10 '12 at 16:36
@RobZ - What you need to be doing is participating in the community! It's that simple. Answer questions, ask questions, vote, and do all the stuff you'd do on the normal Stack Exchange site. Your commitment is to participate in the site, not to fulfill a list of tasks. –  Kevin Vermeer Jan 10 '12 at 22:31

@KevinVermeer - Please see the question linked in the question for some context. –  rob Jan 10 '12 at 22:46
add comment

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .