answers.onstartups.com has been in beta now for 458 days. Is it typical to sit in beta for so long?

I've reviewed the report card and see that its low on posts per day, but it seems to be doing well in all other areas.

http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/6243/startup-business

Is this last metric of posts per day negotiable? Is 10 not valid enough to go live with?

up vote 2 down vote accepted

In its statistics, the site gets all excellent, except for the first for which it is valued as good. The site is going quite well.

Keep in mind that, before the site passes the beta phase, they need to design the site (this is done from Jin); in some cases, when there are other sites that need to be designed, a site can wait a little longer before to be declared official. That doesn't explain why the site has been in beta phase for 458 days; what I mean is that they already decided the site is going to be an official site, but work needs to be done before that happens.
When you see an announcement such as this one, given in the meta site for the site being in the beta phase, it means that soon the site is going to be graduated. As I said, soon is a relative term, but usually it means "before a month is passed."

Consider that leaving a site more on the beta phase allows the user to help managing bad questions; after the site passes the beta phase, many users lose their privileges, and they would not be able to do what they do when a site is in beta phase. In this time, the user can accumulate reputation, and be able to do more when the site is not a beta anymore.

Interesting. So how do you know if a site has been accepted and they are just completing the design? For example, answers.onstartups.com has been in beta for 505 days now and it doesn't say anything about being accepted. – styfle Feb 9 '12 at 5:17

I updated my answer to show an example of announcement given by Jin. – kiamlaluno Feb 9 '12 at 15:51

This answer was prophetic to the problem that Startups faced... – Chad Dec 12 '13 at 20:28

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .