Proposal: Dumpster Diving
I was surprised to see this closed as "not a real proposal."
I am not aware of a "checklist" of requirements for a valid proposal, but this one has at least some points in its favour:
- The subject matter and the audience are well-defined
- Although nobody gets paid for dumpster diving, those who practise it consider it productive (similar to homebrewing)
- There is a potentially unlimited supply of technical questions
- Experts exist
- The practice is not inherently illegal (it is possible to break the law while doing it, but that applies to many hobbies; Again compare with homebrewing)
- A lot of the potential audience are nerds (giving it a good chance of getting critical mass.)
So what makes it "not a real proposal?" Is it because of concern for damaging SE's "clean" image? (that might explain why it was closed by a SE employee.) Does it break some other unwritten rule?
Edit: maybe my mistake was to tag it as "science" instead of "recreation?"