Proposal: Constructed languages

What sets programming languages apart from artificial ones? I feel like there are important connections here, but I can't put my finger on exactly what they might be. It is definitely arguable that questions about the readability of a programming language you're developing have as much of a place in this proposal as they do in StackOverflow.

Possibly… but probably not in way you are implying.

I think calling a conventional programming syntax a "language" in the context of this subject space is playing a bit fast and loose with the metaphor. If you want to include anything that uses a type of syntax to communicate ideas, architectural diagrams would be on topic; so would algebraic systems, graphing theory, art, music notation, music expression, and what type of flower you give on any occasion.

There may be a sliver of relevancy around constructed languages meant to aid in more natural human-computer interaction, but I don't think the folks truly studied in this space would consider the programming syntax used to compile executable code a language in the context of what they study.

The problem is that all programming languages are constructed (yes, even Common Lisp), so basically anything about programming would be on-topic in this case, since all have to use a (constructed) language.

More concretely, I think that we should focus on languages intended for communication between humans (or sentients, at any rate), not a language for specifying problems suitable for mechanical transformation into a sequence of primitive commands for execution by an automated system.

Like Robert said, some engelangs might be suitable to eventually develop a programming system around, if they are (or can be made) free from redundancy: Lojban comes to mind. Nevertheless, they are not the original or main purpose of the language.

A good question. As Wtrmute pointed out, all programming languages are constructed (artificial). Data description languages are artificial too. I guess that you want to narrow the scope to universal languages. People can talk about anything in a universal language. Programming and data description languages are specialized.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .