Here are few examples of questions which are on-topic, but downvoted:

• How many alien races are on Earth according to the Canada's former minister of National Defence (based on his interview)?

This is a valid question, as Paul Hellyer talks about alien technology and races in public. It is a fact.

• If ghosts exist, and can alter anything they would need to expend some energy how could that energy be replenished?

The propose of the site is to answer the questions like that, whether you're believing in ghosts or not. There are many paranormal investigators which can answer such questions.

In my opinion these questions are valid for the proposal, but it seems downvoters weren't keen on commenting, so author of questions don't know what to improve. Secondly these are only sample questions which may or may not appear on the site, they don't have to be perfect. The questions doesn't have to be judged whether they're answerable or not. The goal of sample questions is to demonstrate the scope of the site.

So why people would still downvote without any comment and how to avoid that? Any suggestions?

Proposal: Paranormal

This question has been discussed for years. Some poeple down vote and don't need to say why. Discussing it is not going to make anything better. – James Jenkins Mar 4 at 23:18
Possible duplicate of Specify the reasons for your downvotes – James Jenkins Mar 4 at 23:20

which are on-topic

That's your opinion. Other people may have other opinions about what should and shouldn't be on-topic.

How many alien races are on Earth according to the Canada's former minister of National Defence (based on his interview)?

This is a valid question, as Paul Hellyer talks about alien technology and races in public. It is a fact.

I don't think this is a real question, as the question presumes what the answer will be. There can be one possible answer: a link to a quote from this person.

It's like asking "how should I solve this programming problem according to Donald Knuth's The Art of Programming, volume 2, chapter 6, page 436".

If ghosts exist, and can alter anything they would need to expend some energy how could that energy be replenished?

The propose of the site is to answer the questions like that, whether you're believing in ghosts or not. There are many paranormal investigators which can answer such questions.

This is a better question than the previous example, although I think the wording is awkward and makes it difficult to follow, which may account for some of the downvotes. Something like "how does a ghost maintain its energy level?" seems much better to me.

Some people may downvote because they think a proposal is peddling nonsense, and the proposed site won't allow those who aren't idiots to refute the nonsense, and therefore don't want the proposal to get off the ground.

Note that I'm not saying in my answer that this proposal is nonsense, just that some people may think that. – Andrew Grimm Apr 14 at 22:59

As has been discussed across the network and across time, there is no practical way to enforce people to provide a reason for a downvote.

There is particular reason, in my view, that this non-enforcement should remain, particularly for the site proposal like Paranormal, is due to one of the key points is whether or not a person believes in aspects of the paranormal - what could happen would be the beginnings of never-yielding debates in the comments about the topic being questioned - which, from my understanding, would go against suggested question rules.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .