Proposal: MATLAB

Why would I post my question on this website instead of on stackoverflow, using the matlab tag? I think that the community on SO is big enough to answer questions, and that matlab does not need a special website for itself.

Furthermore, wouldn't there be a lot of duplicates between this website and questions on SO?

Then of course there is the extensive Mathworks community, dedicated entirely to Matlab and Simulink... – 10B Jan 25 at 13:43

Perhaps this proposition (to create a Matlab dedicated Q&A site) could be extended to similar languages, such as Octave ? – DRi Mar 3 at 14:02

@10B Lots of programming languages have dedicated communities. But the Area 51 FAQ says that proposals that are already handled by existing sites will not be accepted. Just having a dedicated community is not enough. – TheBlackCat 2 days ago

@DRi The previous MATLAB proposal tried that but it didn't help. Even with Octave and other MATLAB clones included, the questions would still fall under existing Stack Exchange sites. – TheBlackCat 2 days ago

@TheBlackCat I think you missed my point. – 10B yesterday

@10B Are you proposing the Stack Exchange network change its rules to make a MATLAB site acceptable? Then a specific rule change would need to be discussed on Area 51 Meta. – TheBlackCat yesterday
@TheBlackCat In short, no, and it is clear you still miss my point. The OP states, "I think that the community on SO is big enough to answer questions, and that Matlab does not need a special website for itself". I agree. Hence why I pointed out there is already an established community ie Mathworks, where program specific questions could be raised, further refuting the need for another site. – 10B 14 hours ago

@10B I see, fair enough. The last MATLAB proposal had people arguing that because of MATLAB's strong community it deserved its own site. I thought (wrongly) you were making the same argument. – TheBlackCat 14 hours ago

You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .