I'd like to discuss the closure of the ANSYS proposal as a duplicate of engineering. http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/106028/ansys

I feel that engineering is too broad of a topic, that's why I proposed ANSYS.

Based on the criteria for merging topics:

1. Almost all X questions are on-topic for site Y
  2. If Y already exists, it already has a tag for X, and nobody is complaining
  3. You're not creating such a big group that you don't have enough experts to answer all possible questions
  4. There's a high probability that users of site Y would enjoy seeing the occasional question about X

ANSYS is justified based on 3 and 4. re 3: Engineering to too big of a group that there are not enough experts to answer ANSYS Questions

There are 36 questions with the ANSYS tag in engineering and only 12 have been answered. This seems to be hurting the questions answered ratio for the Engineering group. Which is preventing it from getting out of public beta.

re 4: ANSYS is typically a graduate school level subject and is probably of little interest to those interested in general engineering discussions. For example http://engineering.stackexchange.com/questions/12542/ansys-mechanical-contact-behavior http://engineering.stackexchange.com/questions/13169/ansys-workbench-beam-tool-imported-geometry would only be of interest to very few people in a general engineering forum, but almost everyone who works with ANSYS is interested in this.

I represent a group of the leading experts in ANSYS and we would like to have a more focused forum. The current arrangement of the "engineering" discussion is not attracting experts. We are committed to building a vibrant community here at Stackexchange if given a chance.

Please advise on our best path forward.

Why not bring your "group of the leading experts in ANSYS" to Engineering.SE? – warren Jan 19 at 16:59
up vote 6 down vote accepted

Typically we do not create new sites that are already covered under another subject simply because the author wants their own space. But if there's an avid and enthusiastic community that can show they aren't somehow being well supported by the Engineering group, I am willing to test that premise through the site-creation process. This is within the spirit of Area 51.

But please understand that "spin-off sites" have a somewhat higher bar than other subjects since they are (presumably) already being served to some extent on the network.

We are proceeding under the assumption that you already have an existing audience who are willing and eager to actively build this site. We will need to see a clear demonstration that the topic will do much better on the new site than under the subjects that already cover that space.

If the momentum drops off (or it takes the better part of a year to find support) this proposal will likely be closed as a duplicate of Engineering. The ANSYS community could conceivably come join the Engineering community in building an avid base of support there, but it simply is not advisable to launch with a diminishingly small audience if that community could join in and help build a base of support on one of our more comprehensive sites.

With that understanding, I re-opened the proposal. Good luck!

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .