Proposal: Theoretical Physics

This proposal is not reaching beta more or less just because we don't have enough high-rep SE users. Yet today I noticed that there are multiple people who either claim they are active at other sites or that I know are active but only have 51 points of reputation here -- implying they haven't linked their accounts yet. Is there anything that can be done about this?

Two things that occur to me

• contact those people at the other sites through comments; or
  • request the linking directly from mods (who (presumably) should have power to do so?).

I can provide the names upon request and I guess we could search for more if this will prove useful for reaching beta sooner.

Ah, I see what you're saying now -- their rep listed beside their name with badges etc. in the list of committers shows only 51. That's their total rep, many others have only 51 rep here but more total rep. I see only one user in the list who says he participates on another site, though, and only a couple others who mention another site at all. Aug 17, 2011 at 22:02
    @Matthew: there is at least one other directly on the front page that I know from physics.SE (Slaviks) then handful of others from physics.SE (dbrane, BebopButUnsteady and others whose names seem familiar) and probably others who are active on sites I am not familiar with. My estimate is that there are at least 10 (but perhaps even 20) people like this on that list who could move us to beta right away...
    – Marek
    Aug 17, 2011 at 22:09
  • @Marek, your idea is great! Please invite the ones you already know. We can also go through other sites and invite sufficiently 'reputable' people who might be interested in joining. cheers.
    – UGPhysics
    Sep 3, 2011 at 20:51

1 Answer 1

Linking all one's StackExchange profiles seems like a sensible idea. I immediately did, as soon as I realized I could. And it was obvious that such an option existed once I was frequently logging on to multiple stacks e.g. http://english.stackexchange.com and http://serverfault.stackexchange.com (as opposed to "within stacks" which is how I think of meta sites). I see no reason why profiles should not be automatically linked, though it might be better to rephrase this action more neutrally than:

a way to make people link their other SE profiles

emphasis mine. Items to consider:

1. Is there any reason why people who do not link their SE profiles might be actively choosing not to do so? I can't think of any.
  2. Would this be an implementation problem?

If Item 1 is a non-issue, then Item 2 would be addressed by http://meta.stackoverflow.com or wherever StackExchange infrastructure change requests go.

• @Dori That's a very good reason not to link profiles! I think of Stack Exchange in such a positive way, I didn't even consider that possibility. (Doesn't everyone want to tell the world about their activity everywhere on this site? Maybe not. Not EVERYWHERE, always.) Very good point. So we now have dispensed with Item 1. Thank you. Aug 23, 2011 at 22:00

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .