If Firearms never made it out of beta the first time (or even into beta the second (it's on at least its third try now)), there is no way such a tiny fraction of a "Firearms" site would make it on its own now - ie, Reloading.

It would be far better to collapse this proposal into the current attempt at Firearms, or into the broader Weapons proposal

Proposal: Metallic Cartridge Reloading

I, kindly, disagree. It's a very broad and deep topic that also includes serious safety concerns. It deserves to have its own SE not muddied with endless posts that are not related other they pertain to small arms. I don't know any reloaders that would use an SE where reloading is lumped in with other topics - we'd stick to the mature, dedicated forums we already have if that's the case. – user1801810 Dec 12 '16 at 20:28

That would make a broader SE the worse off, and yourself moreninsulated from others who may not know about those other options, or who'd prefer to pool knowledge into a better pool than many disparate ones. Reloading is niche-y compared to firearms as a whole: there are many who do it, but far less than who would be interested in a general firearms SE. – warren Dec 12 '16 at 20:29

The broad "Firearms" and more broad "Weapons" would suffer by including reloading. And vice versa. And, no point in reloading with no firearms but don't need reloading simply because one has firearms. Outside of SE there have been numerous firearms forums which eventually split reloading out because people people don't want the noise and, again, vice versa. As for using safety as a case, reloaders don't (well, there are some that do but really shouldn't) have outside distractions such as TV, radio, phone, other people... the reloaders will easily find the Firearms SE if desired. – user1801810 Dec 12 '16 at 20:43
Firearms would suffer is reloading was on-topic!? How does that make sense? Specific-but-broad, inclusive sites work best with the SE model. – warren Dec 12 '16 at 21:32

Yes, reloading is absolute noise to those who don't do it. It's a completely different arena. And to your "specific-but-broad..." comment, that's exactly the way I see it thus reloading in its own SE is a match. It's specific and broad - from casual, economy reloaders to precision, long-range competitive shooters and hunters. The budget reloader is very different than the competitive guy who pours thousands of dollars into the setup. Once doesn't care about quality, only cost. The other is the exact opposite. And pistol is different than rifle is different than shotgun. – user1801810 Dec 13 '16 at 0:25
Java is absolute noise to an R developer. Doesn't mean they shouldn't be together on a programming Q&A. – warren Dec 13 '16 at 0:41

They are both programming. Reloading != firearms. – user1801810 Dec 13 '16 at 1:15
Reloading is a subset of firearms. There is no point in asking questions about reloading without the context or guns of some kind. Therefore it belong on a gun (or, more broadly) or weapons site. – warren Dec 13 '16 at 1:16
What you're suggesting is a general automotive use (even for driving enthusiasts) forum ought to include manufacturing of parts or fuel. For the sake of conversation I will call myself a driving enthusiast but I don't know nor do I care to know how a power steering pump is manufacturing. Or gasoline. – user1801810 Dec 13 '16 at 1:16

Either you understand/agree with my stance or you don't. Clearly you don't. Nor do I, with yours. No fault with either party in that. But you can simply move along if you don't like it. Either people that see value will come along and it comes to fruition or they won't. No harm, no foul. – user1801810 Dec 13 '16 at 1:18

SE is not a forum. It is a set of question and answer sites that have related topics and concerns on them. – warren Dec 13 '16 at 1:20
That is an invalid critique of my argument. I am not saying nerely "related" belongs together. I am saying, as a very long time user of the SE family of sites, and observer of their community development process, that breaking niche subsets of the same topic into multiple sites is not how they do things. Reloading is clearly a subset of shooting/firearms. And Clearly a niche subset, at that (even in your own reckoning). Tags have been working for most of a decade on the SE sites to delineate subniches on given sites. Reloading belongs in a firearms or weapons site. – warren Dec 13 '16 at 1:33
A weapon is just a tool. Tools are on-topic for DIY. Clearly all of these sites can be closed as duplicates of Home Improvement. – Shog9 Dec 13 '16 at 17:37
@Shog All sites to be closed as duplicate of Life Hacks. – bjb568 Dec 13 '16 at 18:47
@Shog9 With all due respect, a weapon may be a tool where you living but a weapon is weapon for most of the world. I ain't live in russia or usa. – Abhishek gurjar Jan 12 at 11:45

There is nothing wrong with creating an Area51 proposal that is similar to an existing proposal. I personally don't think that the proposal "Metallic Cartridge Reloading" will succeed, Warren has made some good arguments (IMHO) on why the "Weapons" proposal has a better chance to succeed.

The creator user1801810 disagrees, and that is fine. We all get our own opinions, and we can all choose to support whichever proposal(s) we like best. Which is why proposals (mostly) don't dupe against each other on Area51. You can follow all of them, and even post the same questions on all the related proposals.

There are milestones that proposals must reach, if they fail to meet them, the proposal is closed.

If the proposal Metallic Cartridge Reloading" hits the milestones and continues to move forward, that is fantastic, I wish it the best.

If not, supporters may want to consider one or both of the other existing proposals.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .