I was an early backer and user of the now-defunct firearms SE a few years ago.

Perhaps this time around it would fit better into the larger Weapons proposal?

Proposal: Firearms

Seems like there might be non-negligible overlap in the audiences, too. What arguments are there against merging? – Nij Dec 7 '16 at 1:23
@Nij: regarding your question about merging - I'd like to see Firearms come to fruition as I have zero interest in spears, knives, swords, missiles, tanks... whatever else the Weapons forum proposed covering other than small firearms. – user1801810 Dec 12 '16 at 18:58

Also, please visit the proposed "Metallic Cartridge Reloading" SE @ area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/104994/…. – user1801810 Dec 12 '16 at 19:42
I have zero interest in a lot of things that fall under the scope of Law, Mathematics, or Sports. I have even less care for many of the proposals on Area 51. That's irrelevant because there are also a great number of things I am interested in, on each of those sites and more. Disinterest in other topics is not an argument against merging related proposals, especially when there are some strong arguments favouring the merger. Continued existence is an especially important one. – Nij Dec 13 '16 at 1:08

So chemical weapons will be included right? And "digital weapons", of course, will not be left out. We'll also need political weapons. Religion as a weapon? You bet! Let's make it so broad it becomes useless. Solid approach. – user1801810 Dec 15 '16 at 3:10
Yes, chemical weapons would be included. Digital weapons are better sent to InfoSec or Cryptography because overlaps are better left to the established/bigger/better user-base. Politics has its own place for similar reason. Invoking religion as a weapon makes no sense except on a very technical level, and even then, many have their own place too. Merging multiple subjects when it makes reasonable sense to do so shouldn't be so offensive; do you want your subject to have a space on Stack Exchange or not? – Nij Feb 4 at 8:46

There have been at least three separate attempts at a Firearms Stack Exchange.

The first, some years ago, made it into beta before being killed. It might have survived under the new standards.

Two subsequent Area51 proposals (just barely) failed to make it out of Definition! (The first was renamed and given an expanded scope as "The Armory," and it was rebooted with the same scope after lingering for a year.)

Therefore, my money now is on the even broader Weapons proposal.

Go catapults :) – Helmar Dec 7 '16 at 22:58

Firearms are great! But if they can't make it out of beta, it's a lot better to simply be a subset of a broader proposal. Weapons is like Stack Overflow to, well... weapons. Catapults, yes (thank you, Helmar). But also guns.

Once it's published, and gets bigger, we could consider splitting it. But until then, we can gain from the combined knowlage of people who might know mostly about guns, but a little about swords as well (I know a few). Or Tanks, for that matter. And a lot of F-16 pilots like guns, as well.

Combining makes everyone stronger, not weaker.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .