Proposal: Control system technology

We ask and answer questions about robotics and automation systems, control systems, control theory, algorithms, actuators and sensors. - Robotics.SE On-Topic Help

I suppose that Robotics.SE is application specific (greatly focussed only towards the area of robotics). But on the other hand, this proposal focusses on the entire controls domain. – Raaja G Oct 30 '16 at 18:13

That is true, at the moment this topic is kind of covered by the Robotics SE.

However it is questionable whether it should be included in Robotics.SE or if it wouldn't be better to have a dedicated place for control systems related problems.

Control systems are definitely not limited to applications in Robotics. However the Robotics.SE page is limited to robotics related questions.

Robotics tour page:

Ask about...

• a specific robotics design problem
  • the theory and simulation of robotic systems
  • a sensor for a robotic system
  • the writing algorithms for robotic system

This means that there are potential questions about control systems that can not be asked on Robotics.SE.

Examples:

• Questions about controlling the temperature of an oven. Such questions would not really fit into Robotics.SE
  • Questions about control theory in general.

If it's an oven in a factory I would see it as part of robotics. The oven at home is a better fit in the IoT site. – Helmar Nov 16 '16 at 16:20

Firstly, I know that` robotics` is a fairly broad term. However things/machines that don't move in any form are generally not covered by robotics. Control systems are not exclusively a part of robotics. Secondly, NO an oven that is not connected to the INTERNET has nothing to do with the INTERNET of things. – Kaspar Johannes Schneider Nov 16 '16 at 17:01

Well obviously the oven has to be connected to be considered an IoT component. My point is this, if you leave out all the connected consumer devices as and all the moving parts in a factory there isn't a lot left. Consider this from the robotics on-topic page: We ask and answer questions about robotics and automation systems, control systems, control theory, algorithms, actuators and sensors. That does not mean that the machine has to have moving arms. Working in that industry I have seen very immobile machines referred to as robots. – Helmar Nov 16 '16 at 19:21

Yes, sure I get your point. However, with this argumentation you could include the following SE Pages in to the Robotics.SE page: Electrical Engineering, Engineering, Reverse Engineering, Signal Processing, Physics, 3D Printing, Arduino, Mathematics. I see robotics as the combination of these and other disciplines in order to build robots. There would be a lot left for Robotics.SE (e.g. questions about robot related control systems) because robotics is a complex topic on its one. And don't forget that Area 51 is about the future and not about how things currently are. – Kaspar Johannes Schneider Nov 16 '16 at 19:51

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .