Proposal: Google

The scope of Web Applications (WA) is about the use of web applications. Nowadays Google has several web applications that are very popular like Google (the web search service), Gmail, Youtube, etc. On WA many of the top 20 tags are related to Goole web applications and there are so many tags that using [google*] doesn't retrive all the tags1.

Will this site allow the questions related how to use applications like Gmail, Google Sheets, Youtube, etc?

A popular tag is about Google Apps Script that overlaps with Stack Oveflow (SO). The difference is that WA doesn't have the requirements as Stack Overflow, so some users that are not immersed on the developers culture could find WA less intimiting that SO.

Will this site allow question about how to write a script or more generally how to extend a web application like Google Sheets?

1: Tag missing from wildcard search

Similarly, could this also have crossover with Super User and maybe even Stack Overflow as there are often questions on both of these sites relating to Google products and their usage? – 3N1GM4 Dec 10 '16 at 22:46
up vote 11 down vote accepted

This does look like it would cannibalize a large portion of the questions that are currently on Web Applications. It's also unclear if Android would fall under this.

I don't think the definition of this proposal has been fleshed out enough.

I just added some proposal questions related to Google hardware. – Rubén Oct 27 '16 at 13:48

Anything related to Google that is posted on Web Applications should be migrated here, so only non-Google related questions are on Web Applications. If we do this, it will all be consistent. This is a Google site, so it wouldn't make sense to have some Google questions here, and some on Web Applications.

This could mean that this migration isn't possible, but there are 4 things that could be done:

1.An exception could be made(hopefully). Look at the successful Ubuntu Proposal and how all of the questions asked on Ask Ubuntu could all fit in to Unix & Linux.

2.All questions related to Google after this site is made could be restricted only to this site

3.Things with the tag "Google" could be shown also on Google Stack Exchange.

4.This could be a spin off site. See this.

Take a look at Super User. There are so many sites created that have questions that would all fit under Super User. Ask Different and Unix & Linux are two of these websites.

@Rubén I updated my answer – books453 Nov 6 '16 at 0:20

At this time many of the Web Applications top tags are about Google "products" (gmail, google-spreadsheets, youtube, etc.). I'm wondering it it could be possible and cost/benefit effective to migrate so many questions to a new site. – Rubén Nov 6 '16 at 0:26

@Rubén There has to be some way to maybe migrate all questions with "Google" tags to this site. – books453 Nov 6 '16 at 0:28

I don't have doubts that it's technically possible. My concerns are about the other aspects (SE policies, SE resource allocation to this kind of activities, etc.) – Rubén Nov 6 '16 at 0:40
There is canned close reason "This proposal would tend to drain audience from an existing Stack Exchange site" (reference discuss.area51.stackexchange.com/questions/8942/…), so now I think that a massive question migration will not be possible. – Rubén Nov 6 '16 at 1:37

@Rubén I've updated my answer again – books453 Nov 6 '16 at 1:53

A couple of minutes ago I found a related discussion that mentions the possibility of having a "spin off" sites: discuss.area51.stackexchange.com/questions/17837/… – Rubén Nov 6 '16 at 1:59

@Rubén The answer you provided a link to has criteria for a "spin-off" site, and this Google site(with what I said) fits that criteria. – books453 Nov 6 '16 at 2:03

On the contrary, I don't think that this site at this time fits such criteria. – Rubén Nov 6 '16 at 2:37

Let us continue this discussion in chat. – books453 Nov 6 '16 at 2:45

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .