Proposal: TYPO3

as TYPO3 is used worldwide there are users of TYPO3 who are not able to speak english (well enough) to participate in normal questions and answers on stackexchange. using automatic translation might be possible so the results of automatic transaltions are very poor.

In the times of heavy usage of newsgroups we had special newsgroups for the most required languages.
How will we handle this on typo3.stackexchange.com?
How is this handled on stackoverflow?

An own area for each language would be to complex and would also result in less users. subsubdomains are not possible (as far as I understand).

My idea would be to allow a copy of the question in the native language below an (automatic) english translation. Bad translations could be enhanced (edited) by experienced users to get questions with good wordings.

Answers also may include a translation to the native language, so code snippets propably stay the same.

I'm on the same page as the official statement on non-english questions I think moderation and guidelines are necessary to make it a widely used and valuable platform. Which means we need to select one language as the communication bases. This could very well be any language on the planet, as long as we stick to it. And in that case I believe english is the better option. With most of the IT world being default english (including TYPO3 itself) we'll have the biggest footprint and impact available.

As the official statement says, it's okay to have bad english whenever the main point is clear. Have it be moderated by others to make even more sense. While code snippets should stay the same.

So, guidance in types of questions, proper moderation, and editing with improving the english will be key. With that in mind we should stick to one language (IMHO english).

There are plenty of users who will edit a question to improve the standard of its English. This isn't moderation as such but still supports your argument. – Chenmunka Sep 30 '16 at 8:17

You're right, I've edited partialy. It's a kind of moderation, but only for language and/or grammar. – Pim Broens Sep 30 '16 at 9:22
I already did some edits to get better english, but there are questions, I don't know what the author intended as the english is (visibly) only a google translation. for this cases I liked to have the question also(!) in the original language so a human can translate again. – Bernd Wilke πφ Oct 4 '16 at 7:30

That's a good point. Would you like to see it in the original post or as a separate comment on the question? – Pim Broens Oct 5 '16 at 16:38

Linguistic barriers are handled on Stack Exchange by proposing for specific language versions of sites here on area51.

Unfortunately, we are not currently accepting proposals for non-English sites — See Internationalization 'State of the Stack' – Robert Cartaino Sep 28 '16 at 17:57

TYPO3 isn't easy to use and there a Lot of non englisch speakers and to Start a german Group can be my payback.de for the german community? And without 2 or more Group werden will have more conteNT and the Focus to TYPO3 will be greater.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .