Proposal: Effective Altruism

The description currently says "Proposed Q&A site for donors and impact evaluation professionals to discuss scientific evidence on the most effective ways to improve the world."

The emphasis on donations isn't a correct representation of EA, donations and charity evaluation are only one part of it. There are many other parts such as career planning, policy, and rationality training

The introduction on the Effective Altruism website defines it as "the use of high-quality evidence and careful reasoning to work out how to help others as much as possible."

So the description here could be "Proposed Q&A site for discussing how to use high-quality evidence and careful reasoning to work out how to help others as much as possible."

Two comments: 1) I agree with the OP suggestion that "donations" appears limited. Altruism is not simply about the gifting of tangible objects of value (i.e. money, products etc).

2) Any qualms about proprietary EA wording, material, research etc suggests perhaps that limiting the topic to this particular movement could be unnecessarily restrictive as plenty of people who are of altruistic, ethical or philanthropic dispositions are not and probably won't be aligned with the EA community specifically.

Just my two cents as someone in the industry.

As everything at https://www.effectivealtruism.org/articles/introduction-to-effective-altruism/ is covered by copyright, your suggestion would be unlawful.

All content © Centre For Effective Altruism or its respective authors, unless otherwise noted.

We can ask them - I'm near-certain they won't mind. Anyway, we don't have to use that exact wording, we just need to get across that idea. The current description is not an accurate representation of effective altruism. – user2355213 Sep 23 '16 at 14:53

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .