This doesn't seem very normal to me:

enter image description here Is it a bug?

Along the same lines:

enter image description here

It's green everywhere for me. – Mithrandir Aug 22 '16 at 7:57

@Mithrandir and your avatar wasn't originally green I suppose..? – Surb Aug 22 '16 at 8:10

I mean yours is green... – Mithrandir Aug 22 '16 at 8:11

oh... well mine is usually pink :) and with a different pattern (like on the picture) – Surb Aug 22 '16 at 8:34

Did you change your email recently? Or accidentaly click pick a new avatar? – Mithrandir Aug 22 '16 at 9:32

Not that I remember... In any case, I guess the avatar should be the same (unlike in the screenshots) – Surb Aug 22 '16 at 12:21

If you did, then it could be put down to caching. But I guess not :/ – Mithrandir Aug 22 '16 at 12:22
up vote 6 down vote accepted

We're aware of the issue, but we're not sure what exactly is going on. As far as we know, it's not something on our end. Gravatar seems to be serving different identicons for the same hash but different requested sizes... and only sometimes.

Marc Gravell wrote up some more details here: https://diy.meta.stackexchange.com/questions/1218/hmm-something-funny-with-the-what-do-they-call-it-gravatar/1219#1219

So maybe ditch Gravatar once and for all, and support only something reliable that actually works, i.e. the SE dedicated imgur hosting? Run a batch script to import all existing Gravatar pictures which are currently in use to imgur, and remove this from the options when editing the profile. All problems solved. :) – Shadow Wizard Aug 24 '16 at 12:40

In all other Stack Exchange sites, my avatar comes from Imgur, only on Area51 it’s coming from Gravatar (my case). When trying to change it on Area51 (by clicking on "change picture"), I’m directed to gravatar.com. Is there a way to use my own avatar on Area51? -- Does Area51 use a different system than the rest of SE, or am I missing something? – unor Aug 28 '16 at 14:34
@unor Area 51 is a (very) old version of the Q&A codebase. The avatar uploads were never ported back to it, so A51 only supports Gravatar. – Adam Lear Aug 29 '16 at 17:05

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .