"Software Recommendations" was created in a time when the sheer size of our software developer audience gave them the collateral to give this a shot. "Hardware Recommendations" later expanded on that idea and it's struggling critically with nearly half the questions either deleted or closed. Since then, proposals have pushed out even further into website recommendations, book recommendations, travel recommendations, idea exchanges, essay reviews, text book errata, job scams registries, software comparisons —

I don't have any regrets with the sites we tried, but hardware and software search is about as far as we can take this format; we don't wish to keep expanding this model any further.

I can appreciate that you have "other" questions you would love to ask on a Stack Exchange site, but gathering up questions from a community where they're not wanted doesn't seem to make them work any better here. Honestly, where we should be spending our energy is in figuring out how to make the best of these questions work on our existing sites, but that's a big boat to steer and we need a lot of software support and a buy-in from the communities that hosts these subjects.

I know it's frustrating to have a proposal closed. I was hoping to come here with a more affirmative statement of the types of proposals that do "work", but saying "proposals should be about an area of study (not a type of question)" doesn't quite cover it. Someday I hope to replace Area 51 with "Stack Exchange Labs" where folks can experiment harmlessly with site ideas to see how they pan out, but in a time where we've committed continuing support of the sites we launch, we don't want to optimize for sites that are not well-supported by our format.

My proposal was good did I put it in the wrong section? – Alex Sep 25 '16 at 22:16

@Alex No, read the post. We are no longer building sites of this type. – Robert Cartaino Sep 25 '16 at 22:29

How was I supposed to know that? – Alex Sep 26 '16 at 0:08
@alex there was an announcement posted at the top of the proposal when It was closed. – Robert Cartaino Sep 26 '16 at 0:15

How was I supposed to know BEFORE I posted the site proposal – Alex Sep 26 '16 at 0:23
@Alex You're really not expected to know everything unless you're up to speed on the 10's of thousands of meta posts discussing all the features and support issues of Stack Exchange. That's why there's a very broad base of community-lead moderation to help users through the process and provide this type of guidance. – Robert Cartaino Sep 26 '16 at 0:30

The frank comments are refreshing, especially compared to statements made elsewhere. "... we don't wish to keep expanding this model any further." is perfectly acceptable, it's your time/money/software/etc. and you're free to do with it as you "wish." It's also nice to see acknowledgement of the complexities of sites like SO with words like ".. that's a big boat to steer and we need a lot of software support and a buy-in from the communities ..." – Dan Mar 1 at 14:10

You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .