Proposal: Domestic Chores

When a proposal nears the end of the "definition" phase, the Community Team does a final evaluation to see if the proposal is ready to move forward. This proposal did very well, but we were hoping to come up with a better title.

"Domestic Chores" is actually a perfectly reasonable description if you are already familiar with the contents of this site — my concern is that when buried among our site listings, the title wont effectively draw in your entire audience that might otherwise find this site really useful. "Chores" just doesn't do it for me.

I'd like to suggest an alternative:

Housework Solutions — A Q&A for solving those everyday household tasks that come with domestic living and upkeep.

I've been mulling over dozens of names over the last several weeks, and I think this conveys the scope quite well, so I will leave it here for your consideration. But if history has taught us anything, it's that naming is hard, and engaging in a broad site-naming free-for-all almost always becomes divisive and toxic. So if we don't come to a definitive consensus quickly, I will happily default back to keeping the title as it was proposed.

Discussion and thoughts welcome. Carry on!

Unfortunately, my brain can't stop reading the title as "Homework Solutions". – Jon Ericson Jul 8 '16 at 18:04

I think Housework or Housekeeping would be appropriate. – Dragonrage Jul 11 '16 at 16:47

Maybe Household Solutions? – Kevin van der Velden Jul 11 '16 at 16:50
Housekeeping sounds too much like the department responsible for cleaning up at a hotel. I think it would limit the site much more than Domestic Chores – GodEmperorDune Jul 11 '16 at 16:54
Folks, please add your suggestions below so folks can chime in and comment; otherwise, this change isn't going anywhere. – Robert Cartaino Jul 11 '16 at 16:59
@KevinvanderVelden Household Solutions sounds like it's about cleaning supplies :P – SaintWacko Jul 11 '16 at 21:03
up vote 18 down vote accepted

"Housework solutions" seems like something that came out of a marketing department. How about simply "Housework"?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/… – Tom Medley Jul 12 '16 at 7:34

To take a leaf out of Mrs Beeton's book, how about Household Management?

I did consider this, but while "household management" includes chores/housekeeping, it also gets into a bigger-picture view of family life and how the family well-being can help your family thrive and grow. That isn't problematic in and of itself, but the crux of this proposal is clearly focused on the problem-solving aspects of getting tasks done properly. The complexities of interpersonal relationship simply is not within the makeup of this site. I don't see this site getting into the issues of Parenting and similar sites, for example. – Robert Cartaino Jul 13 '16 at 17:57
Yeah I think I agree with you, it also covers food preparation which is definitely out of scope. – Tom Medley Jul 13 '16 at 19:24

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .