Proposal: 3D Graphics [1]

3d-computer-graphics

This proposal currently covers "3D modeling, layout, animation, and 3D rendering" which obviously has direct bearing on the CG, VFX, animation and games industries. In these industries there is a notion of a "pipeline", where data flows from one department to another. In-house and vendor-based pipeline tools manage validation, data wrangling and production.

Are questions about the pipeline on-topic for this stack? If so, should we make that explicit (e.g. in the description)?

[1] which may be renamed to 3D Modeling and Animation or something else...

Are you proposing to rename the group to 3d Modeling and Animation? – Chris Patterson Dec 5 '16 at 0:45

@ChrisPatterson I am just linking to that proposal; I think it provides some context to my question – d3vid Dec 5 '16 at 6:59

pipeline questions are basically import and export questions, which are on topic. A better description may have been "Any questions relating to 3D modeling layout animation, 3D rendering and related software packages", implying that any question about a 3D application within those fields is topical, which should cover pipeline.

Note Pipelines questions about going between 3D applications and off-topic other 2D applications are a grey area, and will probably be judged on a case by case basis.

any thoughts on alembic / point caching, or tools like pyblish, or applications like ftrack and shotgun? – d3vid Jul 27 '16 at 11:18

I'm going to say those would probably actually be more topical on webapps.stackexchange.com or superuser.com depending on what kind of program they are. They would only be topical in the context of a question regarding integration with a proper 3D Graphics package. The key is to remember that this site is for questions about 3D Graphics and the software used to create 3D Graphics (not team management software that is dedicated for 3D teams). – GiantCowFilms Jul 27 '16 at 15:22

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .