Proposal: Indian Languages

Indian languages from the North (Hindi, Punjabi, Gujarati, etc) have literally almost nothing in common with South Indian languages (Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam, etc). The former is a group of languages that derived from Indo-European language branch while the latter is more ancient and derived from the Dravidian branch. Seeing as how they have nothing in common other than being spoken in the same country and also seeing as how no other SE sites or proposals are based around language groups (instead of individual languages), I say we abandon this proposal and move to follow individual SE proposals, like

Tamil Language

Hindi Language

Sanskrit Language

and so on... (if there are any I missed, please add them here)

I disagree.

First, there are similarities between Indian languages, even between Dravidian and Indo-European languages - they often share areal features. They often borrow words, there are types of phoneme that are common throughout many Indian languages, and even syntactic features can become areal features - shared by unrelated languages that are geographically close.

Second, many people will be experts in more than one Indian language. For example, it's not uncommon for someone from Southern India to be fluent in a Dravidian language and Hindi.

Third, many Indian languages could not support their own site, but they could be part of an Indian languages site. For example, I'd like to learn some Telugu, but I don't think such a site would be able to get started - it's quite hard getting a language-focused se site going.

Wrong in all aspects. There are very few similarities between Dravidian and Indo-European languages. If they were as related as you say, why aren't they even in the same family? My parents, my relatives, and I all are from South India but can only speak Tamil and English, as very few schools in the South teach Hindi, and very few schools in the North teach southern languages. And as for your third point, why not? There's a site for English, Spanish, French, German, Russian, Japanese, and others (I think). – fi12 May 8 '16 at 14:40

You misunderstood - I meant that within Indian languages, there can even be similarities between Dravidian and Indo-European languages, even though these are completely different families, because of the concept of "areal features". – gaeguri May 8 '16 at 14:44

My second point was admittedly based on what I've heard from others who lived in India. It may be different in different regions. – gaeguri May 8 '16 at 14:45

gaeguri Your second point is absolutely valid. I live in Tamil Nadu, South India. And except TN and other few states most of the schools teach Hindi and many South Indians except TN where I and @fi12 belong to are fluent in Hindi. – Kolappan Nathan May 8 '16 at 22:15

so what is the conclusion ? – codetoshare May 17 '16 at 6:52

I disagree with you. If we split the site into several proposals then languages such as Punjabi, Bengali, Tamil, Malayalam may not stand a chance to see beta/graduation. But when combined they stand a better chance.

The former is a group of languages that derived from Indo-European language branch

No, they are mostly derived from Sanskrit. They are not in anyway related to the European languages.

We should not abandon the proposal. We should let the users decide what site should reach the beta.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .