Proposal: Sanskrit Language

Proposal: Hindi Language

Proposal: Tamil Language

Proposal: Indian Languages

Proposal: Bengal & Bengali Language

The proposal Indian languages seems much broader than all other separate proposals and can include the scopes of all the individual proposals mentioned here. With a broader proposal we all have a better chance of seeing beta.

However it all depends on whether you want a separate proposal for your language or a combined site for all Indian languages.

I request you to extend your support to this Indian Languages proposals as it has a broader scope.

Update : While considering the Indian Languages proposal also take into account that there are many Indian Languages other than this which cannot have a separate site on their own. But when combined they stand a chance of graduating. We can still have a separate Hindi/Sanskrit Language site along with the Indian languages site, such as we are having AskUbuntu and Linux and Unix. However all that comes later. All of these proposals are very far from graduating and those who want a site of all Indic Languages please support it.

I think "Indic Languages" would be even better name, as it will encompass more diversity (e.g. Tamil from Sri Lanka). Finding enthusiasts in Indian languages is a little challenging always, since there is no visual benefits of having specialization in any. – spk May 21 '16 at 22:00
@spk I agree...please add this as an answer. – pinkpanther Jun 1 '16 at 18:12

Looking at the question, the proposal seems more about the Tamil, Telagu and Kannada languages than "Indian languages" in general. – Peaceful Dec 1 '16 at 15:30

@Peaceful Yes. But this proposal is open to Indian language questions in general. – Kolappan Nathan Dec 4 '16 at 16:28

Good thought, although, debatable. The Sanskrit SE proposal has seen 17 followers in just a week. If you look at the newest proposals, this is the fastest growing proposal. So, there might be a demand for it separately. Although, time will tell and I am open to the Indian languages idea if there is not enough support.

Also, I recommend advertising full-fledgedly in various places. You can do so here in related communities like Hinduism SE etc (A lack of which is the reason I assume for followers are not growing at a fast pace)

I prefer the separate proposal for Tamil language, since it’s an official language for some other countries too. We Sri Lankans it’s one of the national languages too. I believe, when it comes to the broader scope, ‘Tamil language’ will be the broader proposal comparing to ‘Indian Languages’.

I started the Tamil Language proposal with such intentions only. But the growth is very slow and the change of the site graduation is very much lesser than Indian Languages. A Tamil language site will benefit me more but I am starting to doubt it will ever graduate. – Kolappan Nathan May 19 '16 at 5:26

Ya, Tamil language has only 16 followers right now, more marketing needs to be done there. Indian language proposal is doing decent with 25 followers. Maybe, the description of the proposal should be changed to Indian sub-continent so that Sri Lanka and other countries are also included. Hindi and Sanskrit proposals are also doing decent with 34 and 37 followers respectively. – Amit Saxena May 21 '16 at 12:09
This is example of failure case of Unity! If Hindi and Tamil followers joined Indian Languages we would have been in second stage of proposal process now. I feel we have to come up with right name for proposal so that Hindi and Tamil can be merged. – codetoshare May 23 '16 at 12:17

The key question about whether or not to merge or divide stackexchange communities is are there many people with overlapping knowledge/interest.

When there are many people who only speak language A and others who only speak language B, it would not make much sense to have them on the same website, as they would essentially form sub-communities which don't interact at all with each other.

But on the other hand, when there is a significant number of people who speak multiple of these languages to different degrees, these people could benefit from a mixed community.

I got to admit that I know nothing about the languages listed in the question and the culture around them, so I can not make a judgment here.

rightly said Philipp. India got many languages and if we create separate site for each language we may not reach Beta! We need more contribution and only little percentage of people from India aware of stack exchange and it's use. I am sure it takes time. – codetoshare Jun 3 '16 at 6:45

I think "Indic Languages" would be even better name, as it will encompass more diversity (e.g. Tamil from Sri Lanka). Finding enthusiasts in Indian languages is a little challenging always, since there is no visual benefits of having specialization in any.

[added the comment as answer]

I support this too. But it is better to have it as a discussion in the Indian Languages proposal. Since your suggestion does not answer my question. Start it as a discussion and I will support it. – Kolappan Nathan Jun 2 '16 at 10:58

A possible issue with this is that "Indic" may be used to refer to a specific group of languages. – sumelic Nov 12 '16 at 6:45

As per my understanding Sanskrit is parent to all. correct me if I am wrong. I wish parent and kids stay together!!

Again it's debatable to merge Sanskrit with Indian Languages proposal.

@codeshare: Many languages have etymological roots in Sanskrit. Although, I would love that Sanskrit or any other language can be studied separately. – Amit Saxena May 4 '16 at 10:01
I too started proposal for "Kannada Language" with same love and intention but follower graph was slow. so i decided rename it to Indian Languages. – codetoshare May 4 '16 at 11:14

Marketing it is the key. If people are not aware of it, how will they follow it. :) – Amit Saxena May 4 '16 at 11:40

I'm interested in Bengali, Hindi, Urdu and Sanskrit; I think it makes sense to keep the languages together as words often have interesting linkages.

For example the word for water in Bengali, the standard dialect is jhol; whereas in the Sylheti dialect this is pani; it turns out this is the same word for water in Urdu! The obvious connection to make here that this due to the Islamic influence.

Another example is the word for chair in Bengali, the older archaic form is kursi; in fact, if I ask anyone from the older generation what this word is - they say kursi; but they never use it, its always chair instead; its an interesting case-study of seeing a word being adopted into the language - in this case from English.

Even I am interested in multiple languages, but mixing discussion of different languages in one place will only create more confusion. If the aim of the page were to discuss history of linguistics for Indian languages, then it would make sense, but in that case the name of the group should be Indian Linguistics and not Indian Languages. – ksinkar Mar 17 at 11:34

There is no such thing as an Indian language. We have many Indian languages. Every language has its own semantic structure, vocabulary, script, history and idioms. Any site such as Indian language will be plain diffuse and not have focus.

There are many similar languages like (Sanskrit, Hindi), (Tamil, Malayalam), (Telungu, Kanadam) that have a lot in common. This site can act as a medium to club these things together. – Kolappan Nathan Mar 9 at 15:16

Most of the time, any person who is going to ask a question will only be interested in solving a specific case for specific language. Also, it is not necessary that some interested in the Tamil language (let's say some student doing post-graduation in classical Tamil) would be really interested for discussing other linkages. We should be very clear about what we want. If the aim of the page were to discuss history of linguistics for Indian languages, then it would make sense, but in that case the name of the group should be Indian Linguistics and not Indian Languages. – ksinkar Mar 17 at 11:35

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .