Proposal: Effective Altruism
In an attempt to keep things simple and to have catchy slogan, the description of this SE reads : "Proposed Q&A site for donators and impact evaluation professionals to discuss scientific evidence on the most effective ways to improve the world."
Obviously, different people have different opinions on what "improving the world" means.
Should Effective Altruism SE be about questions like "What is the most (cost-)effective way to achieve X?" whatever X is, or should we impose guidelines on the kind of X that are amenable to this SE?
For instance, which of the following are acceptable, and why?
What is the most effective way to,
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions?
- Limit the number of abortions in country Y?
- Make college more accessible for the children of low income families?
- Encourage the return of refugees in their home country?
- Promote LGBT rights?
- Make the public more favorable to the "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms"?