Proposal: Kannada Language

Did you consider to propose …

• a pan-Indian languages site, which would cover
    • all languages spoken and originating in the Indian subcontinent (probably including Pakistan and Bangladesh at least) or
    • all languages usually written in a Brahmic script (although Urdu and Hindi mostly differ in that the former is written in the Arabic script), or
  • a common Dravidian languages site (Kannada, Malayalam, Tamil, Telugu etc.) or
  • a site for languages written in the very similar Kannada and Telugu scripts (Malayalam and Sinhala are a bit more different as far as I know, Tamil even more so)

… instead?

Stack Exchange favors existing communities for new sites. Native speakers, of course, usually know better than a foreigner like me which language groups have close enough bounds. I just want to mention the possibility, because a larger potential user base that’s still somewhat homogenic should increase the chance of the proposal (and later beta) being successful. A common nation, script or language family should help with that, but doesn’t have to.

Yes I totally agree with you. I should have proposed for Dravidian languages. (Kannada, Malayalam, Tamil, Telugu etc) – codetoshare Apr 12 '16 at 6:21

@codetoshare In the current state of the proposal, I guess it would still be appropriate to fundamentally broaden the scope (and change the name) without having to fear to lose supporters. – Crissov Apr 12 '16 at 7:35

I have changed it, you can suggest the nice name. – codetoshare Apr 12 '16 at 9:17

@codetoshare Um, “Broader Indian Languages” doesn’t make much sense as a site title. Why don’t you use “Dravidian Languages” and add the most important ones in the description? A keyword like India or Indian wouldn’t harm either – or Bharat if you want. – Crissov Apr 12 '16 at 9:32

thanks for all the support. now it's time for spreading the news. I feel you are strong in fundamentals of indian languages. please take the charge. – codetoshare Apr 13 '16 at 3:55

@codetoshare Sorry, I may know a thing or two about Brahmic scripts and languages in general, but next to nothing about the Dravidian languages. – Crissov Apr 13 '16 at 7:01

Crissov, do you know how to merge 2 proposals? – codetoshare Apr 18 '16 at 4:38

@codetoshare I believe you should just flag it and describe the desire to merge with another proposal and moderators will then act if they believe that’s appropriate. – Crissov Apr 26 '16 at 7:55

@codetoshare Include North Indian languages too. I'm Telugu myself but i think we will get more supporters if you include all Indian Languages. – The Destroyer Apr 27 '16 at 16:39

Agree with you destroyer. let's share – codetoshare Apr 28 '16 at 4:25

You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .