Proposal: 3D Computer Graphics

There is a site named Computer Graphics, which currently is in public beta and is for computer graphics researchers and programmers. While the scopes of both sites are different and I'm happy to see a site about modeling and animation, I don't think it is a good idea to have two sites with nearly identical names.

Having two sites, Computer Graphics and 3D Computer Graphics will cause a lot of confusion, especially for new users. Almost certainly, they will think that one site is for 2D and the other for 3D, but otherwise identical scope. And this is not true.

I recommend to rename this new proposed site, so that users have a chance of guessing the scopes correctly. Maybe it could be named 3D Modeling and Animation, which fits the headline of the proposal better and can be distinguished from Computer Graphics.

Maybe "3D CGI", "Computer-generated imagery", or "3D computer-generated imagery", even if in my opinion it sounds very technical... – UKDP Apr 7 '16 at 16:47

I didn't want to start an extended naming discussion here, the main purpose of this question is that, in my opinion, having two sites with almost identical name is a bad idea. Reasoning, see my post. – Nero Apr 9 '16 at 7:05
If we really want to be succinct how about just 3D – joojaa Apr 26 '16 at 9:26

In addition to Computer Graphics which is for programmers and researchers, there is also Blender which is for users of the 3D graphics software Blender.

It seems from the definition questions that this new proposal is for a site that will cover similar questions to the Blender site, but for all 3D graphics software.

"Using 3D graphics software" isn't a very catchy name, and the name doesn't necessarily have to include the nature of the site at all (many SE site names don't). However, "3D Computer Graphics" does seem to be likely to lead to confusion.

The term "Computer Graphics" does cover both - the programming and research side and the software usage side - so it is difficult to name separate sites that cover the two sides.

I like the suggested "3D Modeling and Animation". The url might then end up being modeling.stackexchange.com or animation.stackexchange.com which still give a reasonable idea of what the site is about. Whether this name is chosen or not, I do think some change of name is necessary.

+1 for "3D Modeling and Animation " – Mihai-Daniel Virna Apr 8 '16 at 8:04

That was Nero's suggestion so I can't take credit for it... Nice to have a comment to reflect voting solely on that name though :) – trichoplax Apr 8 '16 at 12:41
Modeling and Animation will make lighters and TD's etc... feel left out. In the end, our url should probably be 3d.stackexchange.com, which will not lead to confusion, as will be nice and short :) animation or modeling.stackexchagne will make the site appear to be only one of those things, and that will be misleading. – GiantCowFilms Apr 8 '16 at 15:25

@GiantCowFilms excellent points. I'm trying to think of an inclusive term for all the different uses of 3d graphics software but can't so far... – trichoplax Apr 8 '16 at 18:06

The inclusive term is 3D Graphics/3D Computer Graphics – GiantCowFilms Apr 8 '16 at 22:02

How about 3D Modelling and FX? – joojaa Apr 12 '16 at 7:25

I vote that the name be modified to remove computer. 3D Graphics makes the most sense.

a) It covers the complete scope of our site - nobody is left out

b) It isn't that easily confused with either graphic design or computer graphics.

The computer specifier isn't really necessary, since there isn't any non-computer graphics discipline that is easily confused.

When alternate names are suggested, try to avoid listing only certain disciplines, there are more than you think, and leaving some out is not a good idea, since it can cause confusion as to what our scope is (Some people can take a name very litterally).

The bottom line is I'd rather have a name that clearly represents what our site scope is than a name that is unique but constantly confuses users every day (many of which won't even know about the computer graphics site) and mis-represents our scope.

Why the Downvote, does someone care to elaborate? – GiantCowFilms Apr 8 '16 at 22:12
I'm guessing the downvote is due to the specific name "3D Graphics", as it still seems likely to be confused with Computer Graphics. I definitely agree with your final paragraph, and would upvote it if I could do so without upvoting the suggested name. – trichoplax Apr 8 '16 at 22:14

Taking out the computer is still an improvement on the confusion aspect though. And really, does computer graphics, now own the word graphics, I don't think so. – GiantCowFilms Apr 8 '16 at 22:15

I agree it's an improvement, and the decision certainly won't be up to the Computer Graphics Stack Exchange community - that was just my best guess at the reason for an unexplained downvote. – trichoplax Apr 8 '16 at 22:17

@trichoplax Oh, I thought you were the downvoter. – GiantCowFilms Apr 8 '16 at 22:18

No :) I'm just a non-upvoter but I agree with most of what you've written. In fact I think the two sites will be in frequent contact about exchanging questions regardless of what name is chosen. Even a distinctive name won't help new users who are unfamiliar with either site. – trichoplax Apr 8 '16 at 22:20

Perhaps upvotes on this comment could indicate support for the name 3D Graphics since upvotes on the answer may be for the name or the other paragraphs or both. – trichoplax Apr 8 '16 at 22:23

I would like to point out that this excludes such things as 3d modeling for acoustics simulation and other exotic yet valid uses. Modelling is still the same. – joojaa May 4 '16 at 16:41

That is really exotic. Its different excluding 70% of your community than 0.01%. Also, Acoustics sounds like it should be a separate site that would house those kind of questions. P.S. modeling for acoustics simulation, is modeling, which falls under graphics in a way. – GiantCowFilms May 4 '16 at 23:22

@GiantCowFilms yes but theres more modelling graphics just one aspect lots of peopel model for 3d printing, but naming 3d graphics means we need to at least certain extent look beyond th traditional rendering engines - comp. If w name it modelling and rendering or something to that token then it clearly takes composition out – joojaa May 6 '16 at 12:49

What a mess! 3D Computer Graphics Is almost certainly bad. The name 3D modelling and animation is arguably better as is the suggestion to drop computer. The term CGI also has dropped out of use and they now use DCC (document content creation).

So to disambiguate and simplify how about:

• 3D creation
  • 3D authoring

Or better yet something catchy like

• 3D Creative

It would be nice if somwbody came with a idea that drops 3D just so we can see the wider picture. – joojaa Apr 9 '16 at 5:43
Of these three I prefer 3D Authoring – trichoplax Apr 9 '16 at 12:48
What about "3D Content Creation" ? – Gaia Clary Apr 10 '16 at 0:00

It think it also might be worth while, on this note, trying to come up with new, better, and creative names for the Computer Graphics site. – GiantCowFilms Apr 10 '16 at 6:01

@GaiaClary im trying to be succinct if 3 words can do why use 4 (3D allready stands for 2 words) – joojaa Apr 10 '16 at 6:02

@GiantCowFilms its under discussion, but there is not much activity on that front and that might take a while. – joojaa Apr 10 '16 at 6:02
@GiantCowFilms Computer Graphics new name should be Graphics Programming maybe? – Mihai-Daniel Virna Apr 11 '16 at 10:35
@NullException It is not in the hands of people in this forum to decide what another forum changes their name to. The community in computer graphics unfortunately were faster to the push so we need to live with that knowledge. Its going to take them longer to change name than this proposal to change its name. – joojaa Apr 11 '16 at 11:17
To me all these names have the same issue as 3D Modeling and Animation, they feel like they're being very specific. 3D authoring to me sounds like 3D modeling, which leaves out some of the really important steps (materials, rendering, etc.) So far, my vote goes to 3D graphics as the name that makes the most sense. – TARDIS Maker Apr 12 '16 at 17:09

The group should simply be called 3D. This way anyone who uses 3d software for any industry related to 3d can chime in an answer questions on applications they're familiar with. This can include:

• modelers
  • designers
  • texture artists
  • engineers
  • animators
  • post production
  • coders (programming); though this is getting into cg
  • sculptors
  • photographers
  • videographers
  • and artists

I research what a wide variety of people have to say about every aspect of 3d in terms of lighting, exposure, modeling, rendering, hardware, and engineering and it would be a loss to have any of that input thrown to the side because of a limited reach. 3D is the future. Someone who does 3D modeling can print their model or animate it.

To many people, 3d graphics can be: - 3d printing - 3d stereo output (like 3d movies with the funky glasses and viewmasters) - 3d animation - 3d rendered 2d artwork (for posters, ads, etc) - Sign making - Intros and Outros

If you want to build a community where people will come, then be as wide open as possible. If the blender people want to talk about Blender here or on the blender site that's one thing, but most of the 3d modelers, animators, engineers and techs that I know use more than a couple of programs.

In turn I would suggest 3D Art, though it may seem to be not very clear for the first look. It reflects modelling, animation, lighting, well, it covers all the same subjects as 3D graphics does, but let us compare them.

3D graphics:

• It doesn't represent the target audience
  • People still can might mix up 3D graphics and Computer graphics
  • Too broad

On the contrary,

3D Art:

• Reflects that site is targeted at artists, not programmers
  • Covers all the subjects
  • Unique
  • Short and easy to memorize

The namespace of the site can be 3d.stackexchange.com or 3d-art.stackexchange.com as well.

Why downvote? Explain in comments why it's not appropriate – Nick Roz Apr 23 '16 at 21:11

BTW, 3D graphics isn't to broad. This proposal isn't entirely limited to artists and their uses of 3D software. 3D art would leave out on topic subjects like scripting and certain mathematical and scientific uses of common 3D programs. – GiantCowFilms May 6 '16 at 16:42

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .