Proposal: Beekeeping

There may be an existing stack exchange site for discussing beekeeping. I posted a meta message at Pets.SE Are questions about Bees in scope? to get some feedback from users there.

The Beekeeping proposal is only 9 days old and already has 12 followers and 13 questions, it is doing very well for a new proposal. I am not suggesting that the proposal is a duplicate. Just suggesting there are existing venues that might serve to meet the community needs. Another potential venue is Gardening I am not as active there, so can not speak it's full potential.

Later in the beekeeping site proposals growth, identifying why beekeeping should (or should not) have a standalone site will be important. If you feel strongly one way or the other it will be helpful to post an answer here presenting your argument.

up vote 16 down vote accepted

Thank you for contributing.

I can see how you would think that the Beekeeping QnA Site would be a duplicate/inscope of Pets, but please consider that I am proposing this site to have beekeeping be a hobby, rather than have bees as pets.

I have checked all of the Area51 sites, and all of the StackExchange sites and found no major conflicting sites.

I wanted this to differ from Pets and Gardening because pets are animals that you have as a companion, and beekeeping is a hobby.

The other hard one was Gardening. I thought that since the whole point of gardening is to take care of your plants, (and use bees to pollinate your flowers, trees, etc.) beekeeping would be used as a hobby and not just for pollinating your plants. Yes, they can cross-question, but I don't think that the questions will be too much of a conflict.

One last thing, I think that the Beekeeping site will be about caring for, maintaining, learning, making hives, or starting a colony of bees. (as said in the main proposal site) I don't want this to come off as a "gardening" kind of site.

Thank you for your time and if you would like to tell me anything else, just let me know.

Ciao, Landon

Those are all good points which I considered also. The creation of a site, is a journey. This is but one consideration along the way. – James Jenkins Mar 7 '16 at 10:58

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .