Proposal: Open Science Will this Q&A allow users to ask for testing? As part of open sciences, or any science, experimentation, and or observations are necessary. Non-open sciences use the peer review system, (sometimes), which gives feed back, into the sciences being published. For the purpose of developing open sciences, are users allowed to ask for answers that involve testing, or doing experiments, and making observations?

Without having seen specific examples — my first take is no; these types of solicitations will not be allowed.

Stack Exchange sites are designed to create a collaborative source of sharing knowledge. This site is about the *subject* of the open science movement (how to promote, operate, overcome hurdles, etc).

Someone may ask how best to overcome the hurdles of finding testers, etc; but specific solicitations for users to to come look at their data or become a tester of their project, or take a poll, or read their blog post, or try their product, etc. is generally NOT permitted on any site.

Such activities will in all likelihood not be allowed on this site either.

I was thinking more along the lines of things like this: phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2016/06/28/… – j0h Jun 28 '16 at 21:21

@j0h For something like that, the answer would have to be no; it would not be appropriate. It sounds like a neat project, but asking folks to come help with the latest <initiative> just is not what we do. – Robert Cartaino Jun 28 '16 at 21:26

Do any sites aimed more towards the group research side and/or public critique of comparatively quick/minor results exist, or at least compilations of specific sites such as the one j0h pointed to? I understand that indeed itself is not a SE valid question given its open endedness, but would much appreciate finding such productive lands. – JeopardyTempest Dec 16 '16 at 12:49

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .