Proposal: Domestic Chores, Lifehacks

What exactly is the difference between Domestic Chores and Lifehacks? It seems to me there should be a lot of overlap between the two.

There is also: DIY.SE – kenorb Mar 6 '16 at 13:25

The comparison did cross my mind when making the proposal, however, although there is a crossover in the questions that are on-topic there is a significant difference in the answers you might expect to receive.

On Lifehacks, answers are specifically supposed to avoid 'proper' solutions, and try and find interesting ways to deal with common problems without using the proper tools.

On this proposal, the type of answers that we're looking for are the correct solutions, using the best tools and practices.

Sooooooo, basically NotLifehacks.SE – fbueckert Jan 26 '16 at 19:02
But lifehack solutions are proper too, only unconventional. They often do try to reduce cost or labor(such as going out to buy something) though. In this SE I guess answers will be more on using the conventional stuff. Better if you don't know what you are doing, since lifehacks are hacks anyway, but generally lifehack.SE answers don't really have bad consequences. – busukxuan Jan 27 '16 at 5:06

Also there are several things in domestic chores which best solutions are all lifehacks, and there simply aren't "proper" solutions except using some product for makeshift purposes (which is lifehack), such as using household chemicals (baking soda, anyone?) for stuff it wasn't made to, but is able to do. Arguably removing limescale with lemon juice is a form of lifehack, and IMHO this has already become quite common in the domain of domestic chores, although lemons were never made to remove limescale. – busukxuan Jan 27 '16 at 5:15
Lemons weren't made for anything other than 'being lemons'. By your thought process using lemons for lemon juice is also a lifehack :D – djsmiley2k Jan 27 '16 at 13:56

The difference is that it will attract a different crowd. And that's the best reason to have two separate sites. I don't really care for Lifehacks, but I think I would ask on Domestic now and then if the advice there is better than a uniform "scrub it with baking soda". And I suspect the Lifehacks people would have a similar feeling for a "boring" domestic site.

Note that many sites on the network have an overlap in scope, and still function well. Especially pertinent for this case, many questions from Lifehacks would be on topic for cooking, and some have been asked on both, and I think even gotten similar answers. This has never been a problem for us on Cooking, and as far as I can tell, Lifehacks is OK with it too.

It's about communities, not topics :-) – Tom Medley Feb 1 '16 at 16:10

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .