Proposal: Excel

I have suggested a stack exchange for Excel Q+A's. I've asked several about VBA and Excel and they often tend to go down like a lead balloon on the stack exchanges I would ask (Stack Overflow and Superuser - SuperUser in particular seems to have a hard core of people who really strongly dislike Excel q's.

I've put it under tech but it could equally go into Business.

Thoughts?

EDIT - in response to "SuperUser" being the place for it, Super User itself says its regarding the following: -

What topics can I ask about here?

Super User is for computer enthusiasts and power users. If you have a question about …
•computer hardware,
•computer software, or
•personal and home computer networking

and it is not about …
•programming and software development,
•video games or consoles,
•websites or web services like Facebook, Twitter, and WordPress,
•electronic devices, media players, cell phones or smart phones, except insofar as they interface with your computer,
•issues specific to corporate IT support and networks,
•asking for a product, service or learning material recommendation,

They may not be off topic, but the excel questions often simply do not get answered on SuperUser. Largely, Superuser seems to be far more about the nitty gritty of computer hardware, software clashes and issues and networking. Questions about excel are often ignored.

FURTHER EDIT

After being directed to the metathread on Superuser I was previously unaware of I had not noted that SuperUser itself is moderating this issue and resolving it.

I'd still like to see a Microsoft Office SE, but I guess we'll just have to try and get that one off the ground. I am kind of the Excel "Guru" in the office here and I'm aware just how complex Excel can seem to the casual user, and how complex even PowerPoint and Word can get to power-users.

Edit: As a reply on your comment about SuperUser not always answering the questions about Excel, there is a meta thread which actually goes against that:

Microsoft Excel questions are very common here on Super User and are clearly on topic as computer software questions, so please don't vote to close as off-topic.

I agree that the Excel questions are maybe not a main subject of SuperUser, and only the programming (VBA) questions are on topic on StackOverflow. However wouldn't it be better to generalize this proposal to be a Q+A site for all Office productions? Which is an already existing proposal:

Microsoft Office (and Office-suite products)

Although it is true that most questions on SuperUser are microsoft-excel: 9.7k, but microsoft-access (494), microsoft-word (3.7k), and microsoft-powerpoint (778) sum up to 5k questions.

Edit: As a reply on your comment about SuperUser not always answering the questions about Excel, there is a meta thread which actually goes against that:

Microsoft Excel questions are very common here on Super User and are clearly on topic as computer software questions, so please don't vote to close as off-topic.

I don't think the proposal would yield many non- excel questions, hence my suggestion that an "excel" one would be better – Miller86 Jan 14 '16 at 14:21
I wasn't aware that there was that meta thread! I suppose that in that case, SuperUser is OK for those sorts of questions after all. – Miller86 Jan 15 '16 at 14:22

Excel questions suits SuperUser. If the Excel questions doesn't get answered on SuperUser which has one of the biggest communities in the whole SE family then it will unlikely be answered on a separate SE website.

Additionally, do you think that Excel is so complicated that its dedicated Stack Exchange would be able to get 10 new questions everyday? I don't think so.

All in all, Excel questions fit perfectly the SuperUser's scope as computer software questions.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .