Proposal: Remote Sensing and Photogrammetry

Regarding the fact that GIS SE has changed its definition on the tour page and now it covers remote sensing and photogrametry and also there is the tag remote sensing in:
GIS SE with 493 instances
Earth Science with 25 instances
Space Exploration with 11 instances
and the tag photogrammetry in:
GIS SE with 43 instances
I think a better option would be contributing to the existing sites and trying to first answer unanswered remote sensing questions there. (This is the task which I have promised myself to do after finishing my thesis)
Also after three months of advertising for this proposal, I've found that the community don't like the idea much.
Outside SE they don't care about my advertising the proposal and inside SE they don't even let the community promotion ads of this proposal to be upvoted regarding the SE policy that wants to keep sites as big as possible.
I think it's better to contribute to the site GIS SE and try to produce more remote sensing content there and invite some remote sensing researchers some remote sensing researchers to the site. After that if we see that there's still a need to a new site, we will propose a new one. In spite of my extensive diligence and efforts, no one participates in the discussions and if I haven't advertised the proposal extensively, we didn't even have this 73 followers so for the time being I think it's better to close this. What do you think?

I agree with the closure because it looks like this community does not yet have the critical mass to succeed but I was surprised that you said "inside SE they don't even let the community promotion ads of this proposal to be upvoted regarding the SE policy that wants to keep sites as big as possible." I am sure there is no such policy and your community ad has clearly been upvoted to a net +5 (actually 7 up, 2 down). – PolyGeo Dec 20 '15 at 0:03

Just wanted to note that a RS SE has been proposed before and failed to get going, meta.gis.stackexchange.com/questions/3414/… – Luke Jan 20 '16 at 4:26

@Luke yes I know. So please help me promote this one in order to not let it fail and keep the competition going – sepideh Jan 20 '16 at 6:11

The proposal reached enough followers for the next stage, but +10 questions are still missing. why not encourage the followers to vote for the questions and add new ones ? I have the feeling that many RS questions on GIS SE are currently very basic ones which end up being very broad from a RS perspective (like "how to classify a map"), while I recently voted to reopen some RS related questions that were considered "unclear" by pure GIS experts. Asx already discussed, it is worth giving it a try. Note that there are more than 1500 questions on gdal, which could add some interest to this site

so you don't agree with closing the proposal? In fact I'm alone in promoting the proposal and the followers are not avid enough to promote it themselves. They have just followed it. Also what do you mean by that 1500 questions on gdal that can add interest to this site? – sepideh Dec 21 '15 at 11:11

My point of view is as yours. GIS SE is not enough for the concepts of RS and photogrammetry. Most of GIS users only know about RS software but not about the principals. – sepideh Dec 21 '15 at 11:14

gdal is often used for RS, so a large proportion of gdal tags could be posted on a RS site. – radouxju Dec 21 '15 at 11:25

can you give me an example of these tags and where can I find them? I've used GDAL to develope an RS program with C++. – sepideh Dec 21 '15 at 12:32

Also do you know any further way to advertise the proposal? Up to know I've been advertising it on most social networks like facebook, Google+,Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Telegram, etc but it's a tedious job and I've give up? Do you think it's a good idea to find young researchers and professors' emails from scientific articles and request them by just a short email to follow the proposal? – sepideh Dec 21 '15 at 12:37

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .