An alternative way for our community may be not to wait for another "define-commit-private beta iteration", but to use increase the visibility of Open Science agenda at Academia Stack Exchange site.

Academia Stack Exchange is already a popular site, and questions on Open Science would be definitely on-topic there. Here there is a selection of some relevant tags from that site:

Following these links, you may find examples of questions which would be perfectly on-topic at OpenScience Q&A site.

I'd expect that the audience of Academia and of the proposed OpenScience site would have a large intersection. So maybe we could use this situation to re-think whether to go with a new proposal (and wait another several months?), or to increase the visibility of Open Science agenda and the quality of questions and answers on this subject on Academia.SE (this activity could be started immediately)?

Proposal: Open Science

P.S. See also Open Science is a duplicate (subset) of academia.SE

I think you are right Alexander. Perhaps we should just go with academia stack exchange -- if that already has traction we can focus on building that community. – Stephen Eglen Aug 18 '15 at 11:29
@StephenEglen: thanks. I'm using Mathematics Q&A since Spring 2013, and since that time I've seen very similar situations with TWO different Area 51 proposals on sites for mathematical software. Both of them had perfect rational: Stackoverflow is too huge and may not have a critical mass of users of mathematical software among its regular visitors; OTOH, purely programming questions without mathematical context of the problem are not always welcomed on Math.SE. Still, both proposals did not reach even the private beta phase and were closed. – Alexander Konovalov Aug 18 '15 at 11:36
@StephenEglen: ... while for some mathematical software systems going with Math.SE works quite well, see e.g. GAP, because the audience of Math.SE has enough GAP users and some developers. – Alexander Konovalov Aug 18 '15 at 11:44
As said here, by @EnergyNumbers "if there are any good questions that you feel that would in reality be asked on a beta Open Science that couldn't be asked on Academia.SE, please do come over to meta.Academia to discuss whether Academia.SE's scope should be expanded to include them, or not", so perhaps we should follow this invite. – Alexander Konovalov Aug 18 '15 at 15:14

FYI, I have initiated the discussion at Academia.SE here. – Alexander Konovalov Aug 18 '15 at 15:50

@AlexanderKonovalov I do want to ask whether many open-science tags are actually properly tagged. The first questions with the open-science tag that I see is "I want to open source my code. Is it legal?" From the looks of it, that's an Open Source question (we have a site for that, for which I moderate). Therefore, (I haven't fully read the question bodies) I need to question the definition of Open Science on Academia. Most of these questions are about source code, which means that they would fit more appropriately on Open Source. I'm not sure that Open Science is established on Academia SE. – Zizouz212 Aug 18 '15 at 16:59

@Zizouz212: If you have in mind this question, then reading it further one could see that it perfectly fits into Academia.SE too: it relates to a specific situation that arose during PhD studies, and both the question and the answer attracted many votes. You're right that some other questions under "open-science" should be re-tagged - of course, one could edit them, and also improve the description of this tag here. – Alexander Konovalov Aug 18 '15 at 20:27

I think that is a half-decent solution only, but a commendable constructive suggestion. Unfortunately, "we" would be at the mercy of an established moderation group over at Academia. Besides: open science is gaining traction all over the world and becoming increasingly important; gathering momentum. I think Open Science deserve to have its own presence, and for good or bad, SE is the place. If we take into account that it is of huge political, academic, societal, global, educational importance.. it is in its infancy! So to be "on the edge" of something new, needs a little goodwill – from SE – Benteh Aug 19 '15 at 12:56
@Benteh: thanks for the comment. Just to remark that this answer from one of Academia SE moderators sounds quite welcoming! – Alexander Konovalov Aug 19 '15 at 13:04

@AlexanderKonovalov :) i do not doubt they are a good bunch! not meant as any slight there. It is just i think that Open Science is so new, we need some goodwill from various places, and face that it is a new "field" that needs space to make mistakes and "moderate itself". – Benteh Aug 19 '15 at 13:07
Now that the SE private beta is closed, please let me point you to a site that lets you view all its questions and answers: openscience.ub.uni-bielefeld.de – Christian Pietsch Sep 4 '15 at 20:05

While that sounds like a great stop gap, I think we would be missing something by just having an Open Science stack exchange facing acedemia. Might be good to get the ball rolling there first though. – Alexander Morley Nov 9 '16 at 16:11

@AlexanderMorley - thank you for the comment. This proposal was closed, and there is now a new attempt at area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/90201/open-science - I suggest to continue discussion there. – Alexander Konovalov Nov 9 '16 at 22:27

I think this proposal is also linked to the new one as that's how I saw it, didn't realise it was a year old though... – Alexander Morley Nov 9 '16 at 23:08

You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .