Proposal: Personal Health

The initial example questions posted under the Area51 health proposal did allow for personal questions on health such as "how to interpret this ECG report" etc., but since the site has reached beta, these personal health questions have now been deemed to be off-topic, thus creating the need for a proposal that allows users to ask such questions to willing experts, such as myself.

I don't think that personal health questions are deemed off-topic on health.SE As far as I know, the current concurrences is that if the answer is obviously "You should see a doctor", it is considered off-topic. In other words, "How to interpret this ECG report" could be a perfectly valid question. – Carpetsmoker May 3 '15 at 0:08

@Carpetsmoker, questions related to personal health have been deemed to be off-topic. One user asked whether it was normal for him to feel his heart beat through his chest and was closed as being personal, even though I could answer without requiring him to see a doctor for this normal phenomenon. – Kenshin May 3 '15 at 1:38
Then take up the issue on health meta, and explain why you think this question should be on-topic. Starting a new proposal here is certainly not going to change anything on the health site, and the chances of this proposal being launched are pretty much non-existent. – Carpetsmoker May 3 '15 at 11:53

@Carpetsmoker, the health site already has moderators who are stuck in their views. – Kenshin May 3 '15 at 12:03

The issue isn't decided by mods, but by the community. While I think personal health is too localized to be really useful, this is still something that needs to be discussed for the new site, not just given up on. – fbueckert May 3 '15 at 13:37

I question your premise that seeking clarification about some medical information you received is off topic.

But that aside —

The degree that "personalized medical consultations" are allowed or not allowed on the Health SE site is not a matter of scope. It's a matter of the ethics of folks trying to use the platform in a way that may not be appropriate. Sectioning off another site is not a solution to that issue. Those lines have to be drawn on Health SE.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .