I consider "gamification" to be the application of game design in contexts that aren't inherently games. However, those same tactics that are effective when "gamifying" a product or community are also successful when directly building a game. This is because gamification is game design. Broaden the topic to game design and we'll see much wider engagement from the larger community.

Limited Overlap: Game Development The Game Development site is primarily focused on the development (or engineering) of games, not their design. This is clear from the top 10 open questions:

1. Is there an optimum set of colors for 10 players?
  2. Fixed time step vs Variable time step
  3. How can I store game metadata in a .png file?
  4. How do you prevent inflation in a virtual economy?
  5. How was collision detection handled in The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past?
  6. Why are MVC & TDD not employed more in game architecture?
  7. STL for games, yea or nay?
  8. Has piracy ever resulted in a developer getting shut down?
  9. Role of systems in entity systems architecture
  10. What makes a computer opponent feel alive?

Only #4 is an overlap. There is some overlap between many stackexchange sites, but Game Design and Game Development are really separate roles that contribute to the product released to the market. These roles of course interact with each other and that will represent an overlap between the sites, but the audiences are distinct and will best be served by dedicated sites.

Proposal: Gamification

How would you distinguish between Gamification and the existing Game Development site? The current proposal seems to put the separation as non-games vs. games. What's your suggestion? – Brythan Oct 26 '14 at 4:35

I disagree and think they are certainly two separate tracks. Game design has a whole host of other topics not inherently associated with gameification; programming, risk vs reward, applied challenges within the game, story development, character arc, 3d modeling, graphic design, level design, character development... Sure some of them can be applied to gamification as well, but my take is that gamification is more on the balance of the system to give players/users motivational cause to participate in the project/lesson. The use of game design elements does not make it game design.

AND.. anyone developing either an IPO, simple card game, board game or app would find the gamification topic clutter on their site, and a good designer looking to develop a gamified product would be smart to tap resources such as the game Developmet SE site as well as other resources.

Though there is some overlap, I think they should stand apart for the sanctitiy of each "goal" and end result of the product.

I agree that not all game mechanics will always relevant, and some may not apply to entire categories of products such as CPG (consumer packaged goods) - a subculture with a history of product gamification. And I think we'll find that many of those mechanics you listed will become more prevalent in product marketing: Story Development, Character Arc, even more interactive elements like Risk vs Reward and Level Design. Topics like Graphic Design, 3D Modeling, and Programming belong on the Game Development StackExchange. – Anthony DiSanti Nov 10 '14 at 8:27

Purpose of game development is to make people addict to games that are not giving anything real to the player for example Farmvilla, secondlife etc.

Where as gamification is finding a way to make beneficial things like developing a software, learning a difficult and boring subject, working harder to get more business, answering a random person's query without a money motive into a fun activity.

So as both things are diametrically opposite, we can not have same site to serve both.

I disagree with your definition of "purpose" for game development. I think the purpose of game development is to simply create a past time that is enjoyable. Your comparison seems off as well--they are not opposites at all, rather very close cousins. The opposite of games and gamification might be standardized testing. Game dev and gamification are different branches of the same tree; or possibly, different leaves on the same branch. Not two different trees altogether. – Phlume Mar 20 '15 at 14:30

@Phlume We have various instances where people lose job, fail in exam etc due to game addiction, I gave name of a few such games. Over that I remember a news where one couple while playing game that needed them to raise virtual kids, had their biological kid died of negligence. Not forgetting person dying after finished day and night marathon playing computer games. I rest my case. – Ashutosh Nigam Mar 20 '15 at 14:33

Perhaps this may be a translation issue...is English your primary language? We may have a miscommunication issue. That said, however, your point is noted. Your right and that may be an issue, but that is not the "purpose" of game development. This may be an emergent problem with integrating games into an unprepared society, one that is focused on leisure and past time rather than responsibilities. Certainly we cannot surmise that this "addiction" is at the forefront of a developers "agenda"... – Phlume Mar 20 '15 at 14:36

Earning money at any cost is agenda/purpose. Check master of gamification Yu-kai Chou to know more how games work. @Phlume – Ashutosh Nigam Mar 20 '15 at 14:40

I am aware thank you. I have degrees in game design and wrote my Thesis on gamification. But your (his?) insight is noted. – Phlume Mar 20 '15 at 15:07

@Phlume good to know that English is your first language (?), you are doing thesis on gamification, and may be you are greater than Yu-kai. Best of luck with your proposal for this site. – Ashutosh Nigam Mar 22 '15 at 8:32

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .