Proposal: Linguistics

When I committed to this proposal, I agreed to ask or answer 10 questions during the next 3 months or something. But right now I can't see a way to ask or answer linguistics questions. Except this "start a new discussion" thing, which seems to be more about the proposal.

So... can I not ask or answer linguistics questions during the commitment phase? It seems unrealistic to solicit a commitment to do X, and then not allow people to do X for an unknown period of time. By the time I'm allowed to submit or answer questions, I will likely have forgotten about this proposal. Maybe that's just the way area51 works?

add comment

closed as too localized by Dori Nov 4 '11 at 4:35

This question is unlikely to help any future visitors; it is only relevant to a small geographic area, a specific moment in time, or an extraordinarily narrow situation that is not generally applicable to the worldwide audience of the internet. For help making this question more broadly applicable, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

3 Answers

Don't worry too much, the 3-month period will only begin once the site is actually created. If you stay committed until then, you will be automatically notified via email (to the address you had to provide in order to be able to commit in the first place).

If you feel it takes the proposal too long to get off the ground, go out and evangelize!

As of the time of this writing, in order to get created, the Linguistics site needs 128 more committers, only 56 of them with more than 200 rep on any of the many existing sites of the network. Spread the word!

OK. It would just be nice if we could easily discover that from looking at the site. The time when enthusiasm is highest is when I've just committed. Being told I need to wait is not ideal, but it's understandable. Being asked to act and then not being able to do so, without explanation, is a frustrating turn-off. By the time the email comes I'll have a bad taste in my mouth. I imagine if I dug through enough documentation I probably could have discovered this... but that's no way to encourage people to participate. Is there a way to make this clearer on the site? –  LarsH Apr 20 '11 at 14:50

@LarsH: post a request on the meta site, stating just that. –  RegDwight Apr 20 '11 at 14:53

@Reg, thanks for the sugg. I have now done that here: meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/88180/… –  LarsH Apr 20 '11 at 18:55
add comment

No, during the commitment phase you cannot ask or answer the 10 questions you committed to. That has to wait to happen until the proposal enters the beta phase. The site to host the questions on the proposed subject (linguistics) is not created until the commitment phase is complete. The process is intended to get the actual site running only if and when there is a chance that an active group of people will actually populate the site.

You can "follow" the proposal and add your email address so that you will be informed by email when the site has completed commitment phase and the beta site has been set up. At that time you will be able to ask and answer to start fulfilling your commitment. If you decide you don't want to be committed to the proposal, you can uncommit yourself at any time.

add comment

LarsH, the Linguistics SE has finally entered Beta since some weeks; I just saw your question here. If you still wish to ask those questions, go ask them now! :)

add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .