Proposal: Moderators

In the proposal's description, it mentions:

...channel operators, helpdesk, portal creators and consumer advisors

To me community building sounds more along the lines of forums or other discussion boards. Helpdesks and portal creators doesn't fit into Community Building as there isn't much of a community with helpdesks.

Now I'm not against the name, but will these types of questions (where there isn't much of a community, but there are still issues with moderation of content) still be on-topic for the site?

Any reason for the downvote? Maybe I am misunderstanding the name Community Building. Can someone explain it better? – aman207 Feb 26 '14 at 17:20

I'm afraid you might be right here. "Building" will not be the primary scope. Building communities would be on-topic but the primary subject is interacting with existing communities.

And communities shall be understood in a very broad and loose sense here. The complete corporate staff can be considered a community for Internal Helpdesk. All users of corporate products can be considered such a community. The reader base of a news portal could be called a community too.

So, there's an interaction between the broadly understood community, and whichever system (electronic, legal, corporate) at forefront of which you stand. You're a part of that system - dealing with problems either too complex for strictly automated system or too complex for your community to resolve through automated system (or worse, some members of the community being the problem). You are the buffer that gets the interaction going when raw "user-system" interaction fails. What is the best name for that activity?

I think the more hung-up we get on the title, the more likely we'll end up with something that contains everything but says absolutely nothing. – user98085 Mar 11 '14 at 8:33

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .