Proposal: Jewish life and learning

We're coming close to the April 2011 deadline for the end of the StackExchange 1.0 platform, and we're still a bit lacking in commitment. We don't need more people -- what we need is more reputation on other StackExchange sites. Any ideas?

I have received a commitment from StackExchange that they will keep our StackExchange 1.0 site at mi.yodeya.com operating until after this proposal reached full commitment, so there's no crisis. A discussion of how to get to full commitment here is still worthwhile. –  Isaac Moses Mar 23 '11 at 16:23
I think this question would be best proposed as a "meta" issue on mi.yodeya. It would get much wider exposure that way. Maybe several members would commit to racking up some reputation on other SE sites. –  Dave Mar 25 '11 at 0:26

It would be helpful if there were some concrete numbers, e.g., we need 30 members to garner 500 reputation points on 2 sites. –  Dave Mar 25 '11 at 0:28

@Dave: there's a minimum number of members necessary (200 or 250, I think), and also a minimum total reputation score achieved by adding up user's scores based on a complex formula involving the logarithm of your reputation (less 200 points) over all of the stackexchange sites. –  Ken Bloom Mar 25 '11 at 2:13

@Ken - my point is that if someone could reckon a specific (though obviously approximate) numeric goal, it would go a long way in motivating people to participate. –  Dave Mar 25 '11 at 2:29

@Dave I've done back-of-the-envelope calculations and found that the number of additional newbies (people without prior experience on other SEs) needed to get us there is very high, and that the marginal impact of one newbie getting 200 points on another SE (the minimum necessary to count for this) is even lower than the newbie signing up in the first place. So, the sort of numbers we'd be able to express would be depressingly high. The most likely scenario for completion is that over time, we'll accumulate individuals with very high reps on other SEs one by one. Do you know any high-rep Jews? –  Isaac Moses Mar 25 '11 at 15:43

@Isaac - The biggest push we've gotten so far has been from Joel's post. Maybe if he did another one it would get us over the top? –  Dave Apr 12 '11 at 19:15

Another idea I had was to post a few Jewish-oriented programming questions on other SE sites, with cross-links to mi.yodeya. This would help make those "high-rep Jews" aware of the site, and hopefully commit to this proposal. –  Dave Apr 12 '11 at 19:18

@Dave - I like your second ides, since it hasn't been tried yet. I've actually tried searching for Hebrew-related questions on SO and cold-emailing the users who showed up there, seemed interested in Judaism, and revealed their contact info publicly (via a blog link or something). Do you have any Jewish-oriented programming questions to post? –  Isaac Moses Apr 12 '11 at 21:20

@Isaac - Well, for starters you could take the question on mi.yodeya about nekudos, and it would be fairly easy to come up with a couple more relating to the calendar or Hebrew word processing or zemanim etc. It would just need to be done in a way that does not give the impression that someone is trying to "invade" SO with questions intended solely to promote another site (and/or religion). In other words, they would need to be good questions, and spread out over time. –  Dave Apr 12 '11 at 21:46
I've had legit questions regarding the calendar in the past. Look, faking it isn't going to help .You're better off email Jeff & Joel and asking for an exception to the SE system. (Which I don't think will happen.) Just participate a bit more on the other sites. How hard is that? @IsaacMoses - You don't have very much rep yourself and you want to run an SE site. I hope I don't sound chutzpadik, but how does that look? Quite frankly, the best solution is to get some people interested in the entire StackExchange system. (See my answer.) –  Moshe Apr 17 '11 at 4:36

Can our rep on mi.yodeya count? –  Lea Cohen Apr 17 '11 at 11:59
@Moshe, At the risk of also sounding chutzpadik, I don't want to run an SE site, I do run an SE site. And the new site would be run by the community, not by me. @Moshe and @Lea, I emailed Robert, the community manager, to ask for m.y rep to count, and he said no, which I understand. I encourage everyone to participate on SE sites that they're interested in. It's a great system. –  Isaac Moses Apr 22 '11 at 22:23

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

According to the sidebar on Area 51, we need 100 members with over 200 rep on another StackExchange site.

enter image description here

I can understand if other folks are not interested in coding or programming, but there are other StackExchange sites. I suggest that if you've recruited some close friends or other people who will be good candidates, have them visit another site like cooking.SE or English.SE, where they may have an interest, and garner a little rep here or there. Also, if anyone has a problem with their computer, they can simply ask on SuperUser and gain some rep there too.

Cool. That's a new display. It's nice to see that the goal is closer than I thought. –  Isaac Moses Apr 22 '11 at 22:24

Well, something seems to be working because we just had a small leap to 93%. –  WAF Apr 27 '11 at 3:16

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .