Mars' geology, geomorphology and paleoclimate are the fastest growing fields of science, literally growing Nth fold is the past year. Should Mars Geology, neologised as "Areology", be included in Earth Sciences?

Given the similarity between Mars and Earth, I don't see why not.

Proposal: Geoscience

up vote 4 down vote accepted

Yes, it should.

Even if literally, Geoscience relates to Earth, as does geophysics and geology, certainly planetary sciences are included. Just consider the American Geophysical Union and the European Geophysical Union; a lot of planetary science is considered in their meetings and journals. It's certainly on-topic.

We use the term Geo-science as a historical artefact of the history of the discipline, as it began with study of the only planet we could observe in any detail in the 1500-1800s - Earth. Planetary Geology - whatever planet you may be studying - should be considered a part of the Earth Sciences, let's not allow etymology to dictate what parts of the discipline we include.

I agree, that it should be included, but then we'll eventually include the ice tectonics of Europe and gas "geology" of Saturn. I think, many people will be against them acceptance. So, the stated rules about what themes are acceptable, should be rephrased. Maybe, even the name - Planetary Sciences. Comrades, many starting sites die here every year, being too narrow. Let's be aware of it!

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .