My question is about rpg.stackexchange.com

I saw very good ideas being declined, because of the threat of stealing users from an existing website. Ok, fair enough. But how is rpg.stackexchange.com not stealing users from gaming.stackexchange.com ?

up vote 6 down vote accepted

RPG is for paper and pencil/tabletop role playing games. Arqade is for video games. There's basically no overlap between the two. There might be a few games that would qualify for discussion on both sites, but the vast majority are only on topic on one or the other. While the communities do overlap somewhat, that's not really an issue since their scopes are different.

The more general question of how the decision is made is worth mention. The advice from the faq is the following:

Should my idea be part of an existing site, or its own site?

In general, if a site makes sense as part of a bigger site, it's better to have one big site than a bunch of little niche sites. Site X should be subsumed by site Y if:

1. Almost all X questions are on-topic for site Y
  2. If Y already exists, it already has a tag for X, and nobody is complaining
  3. You're not creating such a big group that you don't have enough experts to answer all possible questions
  4. There's a high probability that users of site Y would enjoy seeing the occasional question about X

For more information, read the post Merging Season on the blog.

In addition, often times duplicates are marked by users here rather than by moderators. Any users with over 2000 Area 51 reputation can vote to close proposals, and 5 close votes (or one from a moderator) is sufficient. The majority of the closures are for duplicates, and the decision is usually pretty obvious (e.g. C++ is on topic on SO and is covered well there, so it's an easy decision to vote to close proposals for it). When the decision is not obvious, it's rare that enough close votes will come in and usually it's up to the moderators. SE reviews all proposals in commitment stage with at least 45% commitment, and will usually close duplicates based on the above criteria at that stage. Obvious duplicates will be closed sooner.

If you believe a duplicate was wrongly indicated (e.g. because the topic in question is off-topic on the marked duplicate) then that is a good reason to create a discussion to that effect. Here's an example where I did just that.

The RPG-specific example aside, deciding what is a dupe is easier if you come at it from other other direction — Is there a substantial body of questions that isn't already well-supported on another site… is this going to bring in another audience with a different body of interests?

That's the basis of deciding whether the proposal should move forward or not.

thanks for both answers ! – jeff Oct 27 '13 at 8:54

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .